1966 Chevy Station Wagon Ambulance ROUGH

I've seen worse. While it doesn't look all that rusty we all agree there is still a lot of work necessary there. Even if the 327 is not salvageable there are still a lot of parts missing that will add up quickly. 3k for a 350 crate motor and to replace the missing parts necessary, guess close to 10k for disassembly, media blasting, metalwork, labor and materials, maybe more. Then the outside missing emblems/trim, interior work, ditch the Oldsmobile wheels for stock replacements, tires, probably dog dish hubcaps. I can see high teens if not 20k in it. That is plus whatever the car finally cost. Way over what I would want to put in it.

Last edited:
I would go another way with it. I would buy a Chevy with a V/8 and automatic and have a shop switch it over, probably $3K for that. I wouldn't disassemble the entire car, I would have the body and paint done, replace bad chrome and trim for $6K and redo the interior $2K and maybe $2 to $3K for odds and ends. That is $14K and that is iffy and still too much money. I used to know a guy Mr Chevrolet he was called, he would put that car together for maybe $5K, that is the type of person who needs to buy this car, otherwise it just isn't worth it.

I like both of those cars a lot! Dan, you could sell the Dodge to me and I could make an ambulance out of it. And Kurt, I have always loved Imperials and their over-the-top styling.

Chevy parts a way higher then caddy parts. Why is it that the cheapest car on the road is now the most expensive to restore is way beond me

I would go another way with it. I would buy a Chevy with a V/8 and automatic and have a shop switch it over, probably $3K for that. I wouldn't disassemble the entire car, I would have the body and paint done, replace bad chrome and trim for $6K and redo the interior $2K and maybe $2 to $3K for odds and ends. That is $14K and that is iffy and still too much money. I used to know a guy Mr Chevrolet he was called, he would put that car together for maybe $5K, that is the type of person who needs to buy this car, otherwise it just isn't
Due to the age of that car I'd expect to replace all the brake hoses, wheel cylinders, springs and shoes together with all the steering linkage and front suspension bushings. Finding a good used engine and transmission is not going to be that easy. Between the last time a small block Chevy engine was used if memory is correct about 99-2000 if you find one it's going to probably need a full rebuild together with changes necessary to adapt it to a carburetor from fuel injection, transmissions since about 1980 have had some degree of electronics, some requiring a standalone electronic control unit to properly shift. Personally a GM crate motor, ballpark price in long block trim (block, heads, timing cover, oil pan, valve covers) last time I knew was about 2k. Add in the missing brackets, pulleys, mounts, there's probably another thousand or more added to it. Plus getting the A/C working, nothing turns me off more than seeing a factory equipped car with a non functioning half missing system. For the transmission, I'd externally reseal that Powerglide, drop the pan and change the filter and fluid at minimum. Maximum, have it gone completely through.

Body and paint prices, last car I had done was in 1996. Labor, paint and materials was about 4k, minimal rust, mostly dents. Before the car went in I replaced the deck lid and right door with better ones that I found. The body shop was owned by a long time friend, he used it as fill in work during slow times.

I still stand by my 20k estimate and I too agree that is way too much to put into that car, I can only see a return of about 13 to 15k when completed.

Looking at the front fender picture, it is easy to tell the drill hole pattern for the emblem that is missing. It was a 396 car originally, and that is why the engine is missing. The engine was worth more than the body, so it was plucked out, and the hulk made available for ridiculously high price. I can clearly see the outline of the emblem along with the hole pattern. The 396 engine is a big block, so the transmission is different from the small block 327 engine. This is one rabbit hole that I wouldn't want to go down. It will take a long time, and be very expensive to restore this car. There is one picture with a interior door panel missing, and you need the old panel for the metal rail to have a new panel attached to it. 396a.jpg

Attachments

• 396B.jpg
    396B.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 396c.jpg
    396c.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 1
It's only worth that if someone just has to have this particular car (first ambulance call made in it, grandfather's firm bought it new, etc.). I would certainly be interested--at the right price--if it was complete and running, even in this condition otherwise.

I have a C6B, some Superior bullets, a pair of NOS Do-Ray lollipops, etc., that need a wagon or Suburban to go under.

Back