1963 Cadillac Brakes

Brendan Martin

PCS Member
Hey folks. Recently the brakes on my 63 Cadillac have become soft. The Master cylinder is low on brake fluid. I'm assuming it's going somewhere. I've sourced a NOS master cylinder and brake booster. My plan is to have the entire system gone through if needed. Are the brake components for a 63 Cadillac ambulance unique to to commercial chassis; or will standard 63 Cadillac brake components including brake lines work? Any help or specific part numbers, as well as sourcing is greatly appreciated.

your car will be 40 inches longer then the standard caddy. brakes shoes will be the heavy duty caddy for the year most likely 11 by 2 inches but that isn't gospel. inline brake can build you a complete set of lines but if it was a line leaking you would be finding brake fluid on the floor. if it was a slave cylinder it would be showing up on a tire. my bet is on the master cylinder. I would get the system inspected. first to see what you need with no puddles it is most likely leaking out the back into the booster and getting sucked into the engine.

A NOS booster and master cylinder might be no better than what's on the car. The old rubber in the units might last forever or just one application. I have a rebuilt booster and master cylinder that was rebuilt by http://www.karpspb.com/ If interested in that or I would send the booster / master cylinder and wheel cylinders if needed to them or another good brake rebuilder. They can also make dot approved brake hoses. hard lines you can make. make sure you have the right puller when removing the rear drums.

A NOS booster and master cylinder might be no better than what's on the car. The old rubber in the units might last forever or just one application. I have a rebuilt booster and master cylinder that was rebuilt by http://www.karpspb.com/ If interested in that or I would send the booster / master cylinder and wheel cylinders if needed to them or another good brake rebuilder. They can also make dot approved brake hoses. hard lines you can make. make sure you have the right puller when removing the rear drums.
Karp's in the past also could reline shoes riveted and bonded, not sure if they still do that.

Rock auto lists all the parts shoes, cylinders, hoses etc. But master cylinder and wheel cylinders are offshore made, I would rebuild all my old stuff first.

I have used NOS wheel cylinders and master cylinders, however, I would always disassemble them, hone the interior, decontaminate, and then using the original rubber parts, reassemble them with brake assembly lube. I did that on my 1963 Chrysler when all I could find were made-in-China wheel cylinders that were garbage. I had the original power brake booster rebuilt by Booster Dewey (check recommended vendor forum for more information). I would have new brake lines made using the newer copper/nickel tubing, and buy replacement hoses from Rock Auto or your local auto parts store. If Karps is still relining brake shoes I would remove the shoes and send them to them for relining. Your original shoes were riveted linings, and Karps has the proper materials available. If you would like NOS brake shoes, I believe that I know where to source them locally. He might even have NOS wheel cylinders. Once all the parts are replaced, fill the system with Silicone brake fluid and you can forget it for the rest of your life. I did this with my 1964 Corvair over 20 years ago and the brakes are as good today as they were 20 years ago. I do inspect them every year, and no leaks or other problems.

I have used NOS wheel cylinders and master cylinders, however, I would always disassemble them, hone the interior, decontaminate, and then using the original rubber parts, reassemble them with brake assembly lube. I did that on my 1963 Chrysler when all I could find were made-in-China wheel cylinders that were garbage. I had the original power brake booster rebuilt by Booster Dewey (check recommended vendor forum for more information). I would have new brake lines made using the newer copper/nickel tubing, and buy replacement hoses from Rock Auto or your local auto parts store. If Karps is still relining brake shoes I would remove the shoes and send them to them for relining. Your original shoes were riveted linings, and Karps has the proper materials available. If you would like NOS brake shoes, I believe that I know where to source them locally. He might even have NOS wheel cylinders. Once all the parts are replaced, fill the system with Silicone brake fluid and you can forget it for the rest of your life. I did this with my 1964 Corvair over 20 years ago and the brakes are as good today as they were 20 years ago. I do inspect them every year, and no leaks or other problems.
If using Booster Dewey,please note that he has moved. He is no longer in Portland Oregon but now is up near Everett WA

Back