Your Last Ride

My fantasy ride would be a 1933-34 Eureka carved panel Art Deco "beavertail" Town Car Cadillac

I own a 1933 Eureka carved panel hearse!!! Too bad its only 10.5 inches but since its cast in bronze it weighs about as much as a real one, and with a production number of 50 it prolly runs the same production as a real one.

As for what I want it really dosent matter but a 2008 Prinzing carved panel would be nice since I will never get to own one while alive.
I know its not a classic but hopefuly it will be by the time I die.
2008 Prinzing carved side 4.jpg

2008 Prinzing carved side 5.jpg

Compared with most of the answers here, I'm going to sound selfish and say I want to go in one of my own cars. Despite having some pretty unique coaches in my fleet, my own personal choice is my 1980 Superior Cadillac. I've had a few people comment that they don't understand my desire to take my last ride in the most ordinary coach I own, or for that matter why I even still own it. Well the answer is because it was my first. It was the coach that started the addiction for me and lead to the desire for acquiring the rest of my cars.

I'm glad that some of you have been able to actually use your cars for personal services. I wanted to use my Superior for the person who had been my last surviving grandparent, and received a "no way, ain't gonna happen" response from the funeral home. I wasn't in the state of mind to feel like arguing at the time, and they compromised by allowing my car to serve as the flower car. Regardless, when the time comes for my parents, I've already decided what cars they will take their respective last rides in, and it will be a non-negotiable issue as far as I'm concerned.

I want a newer model, such as a 2050 or 2060 Cadillac, if GM is still around. If not, then I would be happy to take a ride in a 100+ year old Cadillac, or something similiar. Here's hoping... :wowguy:

I'm glad that some of you have been able to actually use your cars for personal services. I wanted to use my Superior for the person who had been my last surviving grandparent, and received a "no way, ain't gonna happen" response from the funeral home. I wasn't in the state of mind to feel like arguing at the time, and they compromised by allowing my car to serve as the flower car. Regardless, when the time comes for my parents, I've already decided what cars they will take their respective last rides in, and it will be a non-negotiable issue as far as I'm concerned.

why wouldn't the F/H let u use your coach ???

why wouldn't the F/H let u use your coach ???

Their issue was insurance. Not insurance of the car, but their insurance on the remains. They claimed that the remains wouldn't be covered if something happened in the procession if they weren't in one of their cars. Even though I had the rest of the family's OK to use my car, the funeral director just kept saying "insurance, insurance, insurance" over and over again. Frankly, in hindsight, I think its a case of they had just never heard of such a request before and had absolutely no idea what to do about it.

I would like to go in my own 1962 MM Cadillac landau hearse.

I will be cremated so I guess just for a drive after the toaster !

The coolest funeral I attended as far as "GETTING TO GO IN STYLE" was
PCS member Lyle Steadman's funeral as he went to the cemetery in his own 1959 Superior 3way Cadillac Landau Hearse driven by PCS member Len Langlois.

Enjoy everyday you have a pulse !!!
Darren

IF my 86 S&S Lincoln is still on the road, that will be my choice. If not, strap me to the roof of my 65 Coupe de Ville like Kim Jong Il.The funeral home that will handle vmy dads service has already asked me if I want to use my hearse for his service. Jamus Coppinger has requested that I use my Lincoln for his last ride too!

When a friend of mine died last year, I used Jim Staruk's 1966 Superior Cadillac for his last ride. The funeral director had no objections, and the only requirement was that one of his staff ride with me. Once we arrived at the cemetery, I opened the rear door, and assisted as a pall bearer. At the cemetery, a few people commented to me how nice it was that he could take his last ride in an old car, since he loved the hobby so much.

Their issue was insurance. Not insurance of the car, but their insurance on the remains. They claimed that the remains wouldn't be covered if something happened in the procession if they weren't in one of their cars. Even though I had the rest of the family's OK to use my car, the funeral director just kept saying "insurance, insurance, insurance" over and over again. Frankly, in hindsight, I think its a case of they had just never heard of such a request before and had absolutely no idea what to do about it.

or they just wanted to make as much money from you as possible ?

if anyone said no to me using my coach...... I'll just find another F/H that will even if its in another town.........you only die once !!!! :smileflagcan::thumb:

So just to be different my last ride is to be in my 1970 Superior High Top ambulance. I have already made arrangements with the funeral home and the driver has to know how to turn on the siren and lights!:clap::angel:

I personally plan on using my own 70 combination, but I can't think of a finer way out of this world than in Tom's LaSalle carved panel !

This is a load of bull. Chances are the funeral home didn't want to loose the charges for the rental of their hearse, they put their needs above the family. Insurance goes with the vehicle, so if there was an accident, the car the body was in would cover the body. True the funeral home vehicle insuarance wouldn't cover, but the vehicle owners insurance would. In fact, the funeral home SHOULD have a general umbrella policy that would still cover.

From what the funeral director claimed, if the funeral home rented a hearse from a livery company (the hearse would not be owned by the funeral home and not covered by the funeral homes insurance) then the body would not be covered in the event of a mishap. Again, this is bull.

I get very upset when funeral homes act like this, it gives all funeral homes a black eye!

Been meaning to respond to this thread for awhile...

First choice - My '69 Ford. Yeah, I know it's not glamorous, but I love my car.

Second choice - Since it's close, Hightower Memorial's 1934 Packard hearse (who also owns a 1940 carved panel LaSalle) - Click here and scroll down to see Packard.

Third choice - Even though it's half way across the country, Mike Burkhart's 1941 Packard hearse.

And if these three are unavailable, like a lot of you, I'd be honored to be in the back of any one of Tom's beautiful coaches! :D

Back