Value: The Funeral

Hey Danny, you know you will need to assign an excuter to handle those arrangements. The funeral home should be on the paperwork since they are accepting payment as an insurance assignment. You can let the funeral director do that but I'm sure there will be funds not used so need to determine who gets what's not used.

This has happened a few times at our place where someone has done exactly what you have arranged only to have the next of kin change the arrangements so they can get more insurance money. Shameful!!

In Minnesota, we are required have life insurance assigned to the funeral home with the beneficiary listed as "To Any Funeral Home As Their Interest May Appear" Contigent beneficiary must then be listed as "To The Estate of The Insured". Minnesota is also a 100% deposit state (not like Florida) meaning all of the pre-paid funds must go into a different account for each person. The funeral home CAN NOT keep ANY of the money until the death and only the funeral home that handles the funeral gets the money. Minnesota law also states that if pre-ararngements are made AND paid for, then they must be followed.

This thread is taking off just like another one that I posted my opinions to a week or so ago. I can see one particular similarity... Both threads are discussing the funeral service business and people are voicing their opinions on it. The problem with that is that these threads are on a car club website. I could totally understand if this were taking place on the National Funeral Directors website or something similar, but it isn't, these discussions are taking place on a CAR CLUB WEBSITE.

I have been thinking for the past week or so about reviving the post from last week, to voice my opinion and farther the discussion, but this is the perfect place because it is so much a similar discussion.

I completely understand and fully respect the time, effort and coordination that must happen to pull a funeral together in just a couple of days, but please remember, not all of us here are connected to the funeral business. There people that frequent this site that work in every imaginable business. It seems to me that there is such a variety of people that frequent this site that it is almost unfair to discuss one industry and debate the ethical issues related to that business or the cost or the time involved or anything else connected to that business and expect all of us to agree. I am a union steelworker. I am sure that there are pro-union and anti-union people reading this right now. Should we start a debate on the pros and cons of unions? What about teachers or government workers or paramedics etc etc etc.

In the end, I actually find threads like this one interesting to read as long as they are kept civil. If we can express our opinions like adults and discuss topics outside of the professional car realm it only strengthens us as a community, but when those discussions turn into bashing and the "I am right, you are wrong" mentality, all we do is turn people away from us as a group. My intention is not to put an end to this type of discussion, but my intention is to bring to light the fact that this isn't a funeral directors website (even though there are funeral directors among us). It is a website to support the Professional Car Society and the Professional Car Society is a CAR CLUB dedicated to the preservation, restoration and appreciation of professional cars. Let's all get back to the basics of what this Society was created for.

I completely understand and fully respect the time, effort and coordination that must happen to pull a funeral together in just a couple of days, but please remember, not all of us here are connected to the funeral business.

Much appreciated keeping in mind, if it were not for the funeral business the Pro-Cars we love and cherish would not be present.

Back