Single Red Spotlight on Calif Ambulances

CA Steady RED Tradition

What is the reason for the "steady burn" forward facing red light on the California emergency vehicles?

Rick: Probably no known reason other than tradition and that's the way we've always done it. The CHP initially inspects all emergency vehicles (new or used) and issues them a written document that's carried in the vehicle with NO variations on at least one steady red and at least one flashing amber to the rear. You can have dozens of other lights as long as those two are on the vehicle. Anything new they personally use is tested beyond belief before being considered for their fleet use. Strobes never made the grade. MM

Here is a CA set up I have on one of my ambulances.
PaloAlto69MM101908014.jpg

This light is tagged from Federal Sign and Signal this way. Federal used a unity light. If I'm not mistaking it is a model 173C

A friend of mine just gave me a pillar mount light that looks just the the one pictured in this picture. He picked up a box of what he thought was all '55 Chevy parts off of Craigslist and this light was in the mix. He thought that I might be able to put it to good use. Hooked it up and it works good. Unfortunately, it has a clear bulb and you wanted red.

If you (or anyone else) could put it to good use, let me know.

you can find the red bulb any day on e-bay. John D has them normally in stock. a check at any of the local parts stores in town will reveal that they all carry or can get one. it's only a sealed beam. not all that exotic an thing. the light you looking for if it's a pillar mount is most likely a unity spot light. as stated CHP had the list of what you had to use and unity was on that list. if I'm not mistake the steady red facing forward has to be able to be seen at 300 ft. by the book. so a spot light is about the only thing that will fill the bill. I got pulled over by a sheriff's car in the late 60's and all he had was the handheld light swinging from the mirror. by moving it around he would flash it off your mirrors in the car and get you attention that way. even being a county boy it looked hooky to me.

Most did Robert . SFPD's undercover cars had a steady burning red light with a handle that went on a hook on the passenger side back in my dad's day .

Here is a CA set up I have on one of my ambulances.
PaloAlto69MM101908014.jpg

PaloAlto69MM101908016.jpg

This light is tagged from Federal Sign and Signal this way. Federal used a unity light. If I'm not mistaking it is a model 173C
This looks lkre this may be one of Palo Alto Ambulance's old rigs . They had a steady burning light on the driver's side in front of the rotary beacon as I recall .

light

its the unity spot light/chromed with a 6'' RED bulb. I understand the chromed ones have been out of production for ten years, but the other day i saw a Union Pacific truck here at my dealersphip that had one on it and it was a 2012 superduty, so my guess, somehow you can obtain one from unity. I have several, but sold them all last year. there are two on ebay now (NOS) for cheap:071:

This looks lkre this may be one of Palo Alto Ambulance's old rigs . They had a steady burning light on the driver's side in front of the rotary beacon as I recall .
Yes it is. H here are two pics of it when it was in service. Robert Shepard was kind enough to get these shots, in both pics my car is the one on the right.

The owner of Palo Alto Ambulance Co (Jack Balcon) is standing between two 69 M&M rigs

11969MMJackBalcon021-1.jpg

My car still has the same original CA plate

11969MMJackBalconsPaloAltogarage-1.jpg

Back