removing front bench seat

Honest if the glass is out you got it made. sorry I can't drop over a pick it for you. this is a pictures of the 73 S&S were it is not the same as yours it's simile
then I have this U tube of the 63 latch.

what usually happens is some part of the glass track moves over and James the leaver. this lets everything work but the leaver can't move enough to release the catch on the latch. the first thing I would do is make a hook out of a piece of stiff wire like a close hanger. using your flash light to see. slip it over the rear run Chanel for the glass as low as you can and try to pull it forward. if you can move it try the door. if not with your light aid watch the leaver the rods move on the latch. if you need more of a opening slide a wedge in the canter of the glass opening. that will spread the hole so you can see better. the scope it out . you see how the inside leaver is trying to move see if you can help it go father in the direction it trying to go. the inside one is usually a safe bet as it works if it's locked or not and it's usually out in the open enough to see. a wide flat blade tool and a twist motion is usually the way to move it with out damaging it. one may have to get inventive. the sheld you have been told about cover the out side lock and the inside pull knobe nothign you will be trying to do. good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjK-mNV-fhY

John, What do you think the chances are that the pivot/transfer bar on the door handle has stuck from corrosion like the Cadillacs always do?

could be some what, but from what I gather the scenario here is door working OK - glass falls out of track - man lifts glass out of door - shuts door normally - door won't open.

things brake sometimes with out a sound. but to not be able to work either the inside or out side rod to trip the latch would be something blocking that leaver form moving far enough to do it. simple thing like rolling the glass regulator up or down might free it. or it's one of the rods knocked off the keeper and it fell agents the leaver. inside and outside are two separate functions that move a common leaver. only two things will not allow either remote to not work the sear. something blocking that common leaver or something not letting the lock leaver go all the way to the unlock position. (most common most exposed) but tipping the glass to get it out will a lot of times shove that rear glass run back in to the latch. your best guess is always to go to the last thing you did before it quit working and see were you screwed it up.
every body man has learned the hard way, if your playing in the door you check the function before you close it. with the door open you trip the latch and make sure at least one of the handles works it. then shut the door. :whip:

ok thanks guys...... my plan of finding another door to look at will not work...can't find another 87 caddy in any wreakers in the area. so I will just play around with it till spring comes along

I will keep u posted if anything happens

thanks John, Bruce and everyone else who wrote in.....this is why I joined PCS great people !!!

Back