Ohio Transport Incubator

WOW J-M, what a find!!! So cool.
My wife was a paediatric resident in the late 70's and accepted many a young soul into the regional NICU she would have been on call for in the day, transported in one of these. Heck, I bet if I gave her one of these for Christmas now, it would bring a smile.

PS: Just showed this to my wife, brought tears to her eyes. Well done!

Last edited:
Wonderful items saved from the recyclers! Have you tried Ohio Medical Products themselves for information? If they can't help perhaps look for an older established biomedical testing/certification company.
Waiting to hear back from them. Will see if they can help.

On another note, I decided to plug it in and turn the power on.......................No fires, no explosion, but I am tripping the house breaker.

The cord did not have time to get warm. it tripped the breaker instantly. I opened the control unit to see what the inside looks like and it does not seem to be too complicated. The control unit comes off easily, so I am taking it to a friend that works on 80s electronics today to see what he can do to get it working again.

1670242432863.png

Well.......

I spoke with a very helpful service rep from the current Ohio Medical informed me that the Ohio Medical branch that manufactured these incubators have been sold to GE Medical a number of years ago. I called the folks at GE Medical and after going through multiple "Press 1....Press 2..." menus, I spoke with another very helpful service rep that directed me to their online service manual library, but as she said because of the age of the device, chances are that they do not have the manual online, that is even if they have a service manual.

She took my contact information and said that she would contact me if she can find some more information.

........the search continues.......

Jean-Marc: just for giggles-when you showed this incubator I laughed. I was thinking of the professional job done to install an incubator plug in my 1974 Superior. I know it was done in a shop by either a mechanic or someone knowledge of these things. How? If it had been done by an EMT or Paramedic there would have been a mile of white adhesive tape, not electrical tape. LOL.20221208_152504.jpg

My friend had a look and identified a couple of issues such as a blown capacitor and rectifier, but did not go any deeper. He recommended I take the control unit to a local electronic shop. I droped it off to the shop he recommended and the gentlement was quite interested into looking into it. Will see what he finds pot.

If you could get it to light up properly, it would be an excellent historical talking point.
Before the development of artificial surfactant for premature lungs, the movement of these young souls was a huge cottage industry.

If you could get it to light up properly, it would be an excellent historical talking point.
Before the development of artificial surfactant for premature lungs, the movement of these young souls was a huge cottage industry.
We did many transfers from Moncton to the IWK in Halifax with babies in these incubators.

Since these incubators were so oxygen hungry, we would stack extra oxygen cylinders in the back of the ambulance so we could change the tanks while en route.

Safety was not top of mind in those days.

Got the control unit back from the shop today. There are some damaged parts inside the that will prevent me from using yhe 120V power option, but it will work on 12V.

I bench tested it and everything seems to work.

20230602_223551.jpg20230602_223834.jpg20230602_223905.jpg

I will need to find a replacement latch like this one for the right port hole.

20230602_224058.jpg

If anyone knows where I could find one, please let me know.

In the meantime I'll see if I could print one with my 3D printer.

Back