New here, have some questions

For sure... A huge welcome to the family! :dancing:

As for your search, the other guys that have already posted have stated about as much as I would be able to tell you about the coach builders and the 59-60 cars in aprticular. Unfortunately in my case, I am a 70s kinda guy (my hearse was a 73 and I have owned several other early 70s collector cars through the years) and I do not know a whole lot about the 50s-60s cars other than general appearance.

Be sure to look around and do not hesitate to call up any of the members that are local to you and go visit them like Nicholas has offered. You will find that in general, PCS members are more than willing to have a chance to show off their cars. The people that own professional cars are a good bunch of people that are very proud of the automotive history in their cars and will jump at the chance to talk about them with you.

Most of all enjoy the site and enjoy the company. Please keep us posted and show some pictures when you do decide on a car. We really like pictures...:)

Hi,

I have stopped by on many many occasions, but finally decided to join this site. My name is Donna and I am located in the suburbs of Chicago. Ever since I can remember I have loved the 59/60 Cadillac. I currently do not have a professional car, but have been searching for a flower car or ambulance. I know this is probaly one of the more sought after cars and it seems like I always miss a good find by like a hour or day. Anyways here are some of my questions, and please feel free to add any info.

I know there is a Superior, a M&M, a Eureka and a Royal...were there any other makers in 59/60?

What should I look for as far as rotting away/bad panels. I know the 59s are notorious for floors...does that include the ambulances?

Any search suggestions that help find one, I try hemmings, ebay, craigslist, oldcar trader.

I am looking for a project, a done one is out of my price rance and I do not want a ghostbusters replica. I guess my question is whats a good price range? There is a 1/2 sold one Eureka in Rockford but needs ALOT of work and the guy wants $10,500. Does that seem high to anyone else?

Your help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Donna, welcome to the group. Please make sure you also join the Professional Car Society club. The PCS magazine alone is worth the dues money. You can click the blue box at the upper right corner of the page for more info. We're a good club and we will help any way we can.

Of course, 59s and 60s are rare and in demand, but with some patience, you can find one. You've gotten the list of major manufacturers in that era ("Royale" is a model of Superior, by the way).

It's hard to quote a price range, but like any car, don't pay $10G for a rusty one that doesn't run (and as mentioned, never deal with the guy in Rockford, I learned from my own bad experience). Rust? Well, it's a possibilty for these like any car.

Anyway, be patient. Ask anything (well, most anything), we'll be glad to help. Hope to see you at a PCS meet soon. Good luck.

Hey Donna... How's the Camaro?

Just kidding (making reference to Click and Clack who joke that all women named Donna drive a Camaro!):D

Glad you've joined us! We hope we can help you with what you seek and when you've found it, we'll help you fix it up too!

The only thing we ask in return, is that you share what you've found:weneedpics_smi: and that we see you at an event with your car in the foreseeable future.

Until then, we remain at your service!

Thanks for your interest!

Onward and Upward!

Rick

Just kidding (making reference to Click and Clack who joke that all women named Donna drive a Camaro!):D

Glad you've joined us! We hope we can help you with what you seek and when you've found it, we'll help you fix it up too!

The only thing we ask in return, is that you share what you've found:weneedpics_smi: and that we see you at an event with your car in the foreseeable future.

Until then, we remain at your service!

Thanks for your interest!

Onward and Upward!

Rick

Ok so if I tell you my daily driver is a camaro you cant be kidding. (just kidding) HAHAHA

But I have owned a camaro in the past.

Donna, welcome to the group! You've definitely come to the right place. Good luck with your search. We hope to see you at a meet soon. Be sure to some out to Ohio in 2011 for the international meet. It will a great time!

Ok I have a question about this site in general, I see all of the great cars you have as your avatars.....how do I make the picture bigger? it doesnt appear there is a album of a lot of these cars out there

I seem to be learning more and more about the different models here, this is great!

Is there a spot that lists the different makes/models with pictures?

Hi Donna,

Welcome to the club! And I apologize in advance for doing this to you, but I'm about to data overload you! :D

http://www.coachbuilt.com/pro/index.htm

And when you're done reading all that, buy a copy of Thomas McPherson's "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/American-Funeral-Ambulances-Since-Automotive/dp/0912612053"]American Funeral Cars and Ambulances Since 1900[/ame]" book (or the black book or Bible as we call it).

Adam

Donna!

You'll have to put your avitar "BIGGER" request to the Website Moderator, Paul Steinberg aka Aloyisious T. Schimmelhorn (among others):D

He will, no doubt, be able to assist you.

Warning: Please keep your hands and feet away from his mouth and do not, under any circumstances give him any food!:eek:

the Black Book

Donna,
Be forwarned here that the 'Black Book' was printed in 1973. It is out of print and when found usually very pricey. At last years International one of our members had a couple for sale. He was more reasonable than the auction site prices. I will check with him about this and let you know.
Like the cars, and parts, even the books seem to go up in price as they get older.
Mike
61 M-M

Ok I have a question about this site in general, I see all of the great cars you have as your avatars.....how do I make the picture bigger? it doesnt appear there is a album of a lot of these cars out there

If I am reading your question correctly, you want to see the avatars in a larger format... This is not possible, since they are scaled to load quickly with the posts. You can see pictures of members cars in the "All Albums" located at the navigation bar at the top of every page. If you would like to have an avatar, then you need to become a site supporter. Site Supporters are the people that help to pay the costs of keeping this website open to the Professional Car collector and hobbyist. Even though we are the Official Website of the Professional Car Society, we receive no funding from the International Organization. Some have asked why, and the reason is simple.. about 20% of the total membership frequent the message board, and as such, it wouldn't be fair to take from the many to support the few. Presently, most of the Societies money goes into the production of our award winning quarterly magazine, The Professional Car. I sincerely recommend to everyone that is interested in professional cars to become a member of the Society. I have made it easy for people to join the Society, by using the blue button in the upper right hand corner, and to become a Site Supporter by using the yellow button in the upper left hand corner.
I would also like to point out to you that many times these cars are first offered to club members and then to the general public. When you become a member, and start attending our events, people will get to know you and that is how you will increase your chances of finding the car of your dreams. I personally have helped a number of PCS Members to acquire cars that I learn about from other members, and I try to match the sellers with the buyers based on what I know the buyers are looking for. In the past, this has been quite successful for all concerned.
Thanks
Paul
Forums Administrator

Welcome, Donna

We're all glad you've been visiting the site and that you finally posted. I think Greg Steffe makes some very good recommendations. First, join the PCS, if for no other reason than to network with other members. Of course, our quarterly publication, The Professional Car, is first rate. It's too bad that you weren't able to join us in Chicago about 10 years ago when our International Meet was held there. There are quite a few fine old professional cars in your area. When you join the Society, you'll get a roster of members, their locations, and cars they own. This way you can check them out for yourself.

I'm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, not too far from Chicago. If you happen to be passing through, let me know in advance and I'll do my best to let you see my cars. The first link shows my cars. The second has my telephone and email. Lastly, emphasizing something Greg said, buy the best car you can afford. In the long run it's much better than a fixer-upper.

www.bippusautostorage.com/cars

www.bippusautostorage.com

Tom Hoczyk
Fort Wayne IN

Thanks Paul. You answered my question about the avatars, I was just trying to see what some of these cars looked like in a better format since they are not all in the albums.

Back