• 1960CBOldsad_page1_0.jpg
    1960CBOldsad_page1_0.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 11
Lenola, NJ
1974 Cotington 54

Atco, NJ
1975 Cotington 54

(SL collection)

Has anyone ever noticed that Cotner Bevington hightops always have way more tunnel lights than M+Ms? Why is that? You'd think the opposite would be true, since M+Ms were more expensive.

Abe

Here are two more C/B 48" cars with uncommon corner lighting:

1971 - Memphis, TN
1971 - Pocahontas, IA

There was a law in Iowa for a short time that required five beacons on ambulances, resulting in many over-burdened electrical systems. The draw from the beacons on this car, with a 120-amp alternator, was 105 amps!

(SL collection)

I know this is an old posting and the photo is likely from the '70s, but does anyone have any information on where this Cotner Bevington Olds from Pocahontas Iowa ended up?

I am the current Ambulance Director at the Pocahontas Community Hospital and would love any information or additional photos of this car.

Thanks!

olds

sir, if you contact mr. steve loftin on this site, you would probably get as close to finding out information you are needing as you will get. he is quite knowledgeable about pro cars. also if you start a new thread and just ask for help you would probaly get more than you need to help with your search. you should join the society as it is a very good bunch of folks that know about everything you would want to know about ambulances. alot of us are old ambulance jockeys. join, it's cheap fun. you wont regret it.

Wonderful shot sure to bring smiles. Hood ornament, hood sides, headlight buckets, reveal lines, vent window, artillery wheels, hubcaps, and fenders all point to '35-'36 Oldsmobile. Haven't the foggiest about coach builder. Note width of front suicide door compared to rear side door.

Large black hearse used to transport Convair employees. Men are seated in the car while one looks into the back. Photo taken on August 2, 1951.

Photo from Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures collection.

high_res

This becomes my earliest documentation of a hearse being used as a limo! It was only 15-16 years old. Not a recent trend by any means. :confused2:

Bonus shot with no info saved.

oldsmobile-ambulance-05.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 13
Wonderful shot sure to bring smiles. Hood ornament, hood sides, headlight buckets, reveal lines, vent window, artillery wheels, hubcaps, and fenders all point to '35-'36 Oldsmobile. Haven't the foggiest about coach builder. Note width of front suicide door compared to rear side door.

Large black hearse used to transport Convair employees. Men are seated in the car while one looks into the back. Photo taken on August 2, 1951.

Photo from Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures collection.

high_res

This becomes my earliest documentation of a hearse being used as a limo! It was only 15-16 years old. Not a recent trend by any means. :confused2:

I think the 35-6 Olds may be a S&S. I looked through alot of pics and this is the closest. Also S&S used the same style hinge on top of the rear door in this era.

This looks somewhat like my 1955 Pontiac Barnette, though my vent windo has the triangular piece it is higher than this car. The rear side windows look very similar, but you are probably correct....Larry Hyde

That, gentlemen, is a 1935 Sayers-Arcadian funeral coach. These were a product of the Sayers & Scovill Company (S&S) and were based on the Oldsmobile L-35 chassis. S&S offered two versions on the Oldsmobile chassis in 1935 - the Arcadian funeral car and the Ablington ambulance. Henney was also offering Oldsmobile professional cars - the famous Henney Progress or 700 Series - in 1935 but, unlike the S&S products, Henney front compartment doors were hinged at the front while the S&S Oldsmobiles had the front doors hinged at the rear. You'll note the rear hinged front doors on this example. These S&S OLdsmobiles were powered by a 100-hp straight-eight engine and had a wheelbase of 159-inches.

While we're at it, you can see that the '62 above is very similar to the '62 CB Olds combination that Steve Loftin photographed some years ago. You don't think....

Attachments

• 62CBOldsComboTulsaOK0.jpg
    62CBOldsComboTulsaOK0.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 825
I'm curious why they went with Juniors, instead of Ful-Vues. Wouldn't Ful-Vues comply with the 5 beacon law? Or were the juniors just purchaser preference?
Ful-Vus were specific to M-Ms for a while and may not have been available for CBs. While there was no requirement in MD, many departments here that had CBs used 4 Juniors because it "matched" the 4 Ful-Vus on the Cadillacs.

Attachments

• Mclean.jpg
    Mclean.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
I wonder if the plain black '55 Ford Sedan with TX Exempt Plates was the County Coroner' Car?

Most Texas counties do not have coroners. Those duties are conducted by Justice's of the Peace. That car most likely belongs to either the two uniformed State Troopers or an ununiformed deputy standing in the crowd. Just my opinion.

Back