How many Criterion's are left...

The company I am captain of had a Criterion, second hand unit. I think it was owned by a company named Donahue out of Scranton, Pa. That's who purchsed our 1966 Cadillac, in 1975. They kept the Cadillac, till 1978, when they purchased a stock unit Dodge van. Going by the minutes, it was in pretty rough shape. The storage box on top, according to our neighbor, who was an EMT at the time held two scoops and a metal backboard, and it flew off one evening, destroying the box and everything inside. They had a demo ambulance three days later and bought it on the spot. She said the Criterion was stripped of its lights, wires, siren, etc; and sold for scrap. The junk yard said it was crushed years ago. But we had all the lights till just a couple years ago. Someone put a whole closet full in a dumpster. That's a damn shame right there. The siren, though, we still have that. I used it have it in my SUV, but it's really big, clunky, and would make strange noises, instead of the wail, yelp and hi-lo.

The company I am captain of had a Criterion, second hand unit. I think it was owned by a company named Donahue out of Scranton, Pa. That's who purchsed our 1966 Cadillac, in 1975. They kept the Cadillac, till 1978, when they purchased a stock unit Dodge van. Going by the minutes, it was in pretty rough shape. The storage box on top, according to our neighbor, who was an EMT at the time held two scoops and a metal backboard, and it flew off one evening, destroying the box and everything inside. They had a demo ambulance three days later and bought it on the spot. She said the Criterion was stripped of its lights, wires, siren, etc; and sold for scrap. The junk yard said it was crushed years ago. But we had all the lights till just a couple years ago. Someone put a whole closet full in a dumpster. That's a damn shame right there. The siren, though, we still have that. I used it have it in my SUV, but it's really big, clunky, and would make strange noises, instead of the wail, yelp and hi-lo.

"Had we known then what we know now.."

Back in 1974 we tried to get the owner of our private ambulance company to purchase a criterion instead of a '74 star line dodge karivan modular. He said the criterion was too costly. Does anyone know what a new criterion cost in 74/75.

Back in 1974 we tried to get the owner of our private ambulance company to purchase a criterion instead of a '74 star line dodge karivan modular. He said the criterion was too costly. Does anyone know what a new criterion cost in 74/75.

$17,500-20,000 depending on options.

Bad decision on my part and should have kept my 74 Criterion over the Lifeliner. Can't cry over spilled mile...:(

I tried to tell you that, but your judgment was clouded by what you saw as the return on investment. :argue:

I would disagree. The Criterions look too much like a watermelon giving birth to a Cadillac! I still prefer all of the windows in a Lifeliner!!

Although I now own a beautifully refurbished CRITERION (the 2nd one)... I agree that the flowing lines of a windowed LIFELINER are much more pleasing. MM

Curious if anyone is willing to update the list from page 1 to include best guess as to how many Criterions are still known to exist in running condition and where they are located. Any restorable Criterion I think should be included in the list. Also, I am interested in opinions of whether there were 50 total Criteria created or 50 per model year. Thanks.

Chris, in a previous thread, Robert Shepard spoke to Joe Grimes, the former Miller-Meteor Product Sales Manager awhile back who explained the Criterion struggled to fit into the production line with other cars resulting in fewer than 50 units produced during the Criterion's 3 year model run.

Chris, in a previous thread, Robert Shepard spoke to Joe Grimes, the former Miller-Meteor Product Sales Manager awhile back who explained the Criterion struggled to fit into the production line with other cars resulting in fewer than 50 units produced during the Criterion's 3 year model run.

Which makes them more rare then anything you'll ever see on Barrett-Jackson.

having worked on both of them all I can say it there just another high top. :rolleyes: the problem with them was upper management never got sold on the Ida and they wee started to late to establish a notch in the market. I don't believe the less then 50 number though. less then 50 a year maybe or that capital city fleet photo shows 1/10 of the production run.

having worked on both of them all I can say it there just another high top. :rolleyes: the problem with them was upper management never got sold on the Ida and they wee started to late to establish a notch in the market. I don't believe the less then 50 number though. less then 50 a year maybe or that capital city fleet photo shows 1/10 of the production run.

Well Ed certainly put his magic touch on my old 74 Criterion installing twin 84's and they were level too.

Attachments

• AlbanyDay3037.jpg
    AlbanyDay3037.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 207
  • AlbanyDay3040.jpg
    AlbanyDay3040.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 205

It seems like all of the previous attempts at similar products were slow sellers too, and after much hype, were quietly discontinued after finding few buyers (the Eureka Hi-Boy, M-M Guardian). Probably because they were so outrageously expensive compared to "lesser" ambulances.

Palmerton Ambulance

1979 Palmerton Memorial Day parade on Facebook from Allan Poplin. Wonder where it is now?

Attachments

• PalmertonAmbulance.jpg
    PalmertonAmbulance.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 174
Which makes them more rare then anything you'll ever see on Barrett-Jackson.

They are rare but not as rare as what is believed to be the LAST surviving MCC/Pinner Van :applause:

I know, I know this is about Criterions, just couldn't resist the cheap commercial moment.

Attachments

• econoline5.jpg
    econoline5.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 150
  • econoline2.jpg
    econoline2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 153
Back