2014 Cadillac S&S Masterpiece

why does it have to be that tall in back sorry I don't understand that. if you can't load flowers on top you can't load flowers on top thats what Minnie vans are for. a slight raise the roof coming up from the glass straight back. side and end glass purported to the side glass in the car. what is so hard about a design like that. OK the car is smaller deal with it instead of try to make it into something it's not. the car has to flow down the side to look good. so far they have all missed that mark. it's a Hearse make it look like one.

why does it have to be that tall in back sorry I don't understand that. if you can't load flowers on top you can't load flowers on top thats what Minnie vans are for. a slight raise the roof coming up from the glass straight back. side and end glass purported to the side glass in the car. what is so hard about a design like that. OK the car is smaller deal with it instead of try to make it into something it's not. the car has to flow down the side to look good. so far they have all missed that mark. it's a Hearse make it look like one.

Flxible hid a few inches nicely ,why not today?

Attachments

• DSC02272.jpg
    DSC02272.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC02273.jpg
    DSC02273.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 330
Not As Ugly As The Lincoln

Trying to be positive over all new designs that seem pretty ugly. I like the limousine style and even the landau but I really to hate that roof line looks deformed. The Lincolns I have seen look something like eggs.

A couple of things here. Let's give credit where credit is due. The new 2014 Victoria with the lowered roof is an improvement and more in line with previous and acceptable designs. The overly high roof lines seen on other Accubuilt, Armbruster-Stageway, Eagle and Federal coaches are all in an inane competitive quest for added rear compartment headroom and a greater height for the loading door. It is completely unnecessary. A rear compartment headroom of 38-42 inches is all that is really required - just check the dimantions of some of the largest of the old professional cars - 1971-1976 for instance. At the same time, these cars are about three to six inches too long - again in a competitive race to offer the longest rear compartment floor. Adequate length is 109 - 112 inches - again, check dimensions on those coaches from the early seventies - which were some of the largest, lingest and widest ever produced. The overall styling is for the vast majority of these cars is, once again, a product of the Keller-Wonder (Helen Keller and Stevie Wonder) school of design. They really have no one that adequately understands product astetics and functional, balanced professional vehicle design. The obnoxious bay window on the new "Masterpiece" is an example of this lack of proportion and balance. With regard to commercial glass, my understanding is that Cadillac had prohibited any change in the A-pillars due to placement of air bags in these pillars. Now, as far as I know, unless it has changed drastically (a real possibity), a funeral coach was always considered a "commercial vehicle" (like a truck) and therefore exempt from some of the safety standards that applied to passenger cars. They were even licensed in some states as "commercial vehicles". If this is still the case, the coachbuilders have a fair and reasonable argument over this with Cadillac...or GM...whomever is causing the problem. Now, that's my two cents worth on the issue.

This for the coach builders is a no win situation. First mess with the piller air bags a you risk the feds jumping you. Second Cadillac will smile and say do what you want BUT the warranty is void you can warranty the coach. Next up pop the lawyers in a crash the restraint system has been changed get ready for the lawsuit. I agree with many who have responded the design is ugly and as my high school teachers used to say "We certainly expected better of you". Better luck next year.

First mess with the pillar air bags a you risk the feds jumping you. Second Cadillac will smile and say do what you want BUT the warranty is void you can warranty the coach.

While I hadn't heard anything with regard to voiding the Cadillac warranty, Cadillac supposedly did warn (threaten) any coachbuilders that were comtemplating altering the A-pillars to accommodate commercial glass (and decent styling) with revoking the offender's "Master Coachbuilder" status - which would have cut them off from engineering and parts assistance as well as from the substatntal discounts they enjoy when purchasing the "chassis" from Cadillac. I would imagine that, out of spite, they would also void the Cadillac warranty as well.

A couple of things here. Let's give credit where credit is due. The new 2014 Victoria with the lowered roof is an improvement and more in line with previous and acceptable designs. The overly high roof lines seen on other Accubuilt, Armbruster-Stageway, Eagle and Federal coaches are all in an inane competitive quest for added rear compartment headroom and a greater height for the loading door. It is completely unnecessary. A rear compartment headroom of 38-42 inches is all that is really required - just check the dimantions of some of the largest of the old professional cars - 1971-1976 for instance. At the same time, these cars are about three to six inches too long - again in a competitive race to offer the longest rear compartment floor. Adequate length is 109 - 112 inches - again, check dimensions on those coaches from the early seventies - which were some of the largest, lingest and widest ever produced. The overall styling is for the vast majority of these cars is, once again, a product of the Keller-Wonder (Helen Keller and Stevie Wonder) school of design. They really have no one that adequately understands product astetics and functional, balanced professional vehicle design. The obnoxious bay window on the new "Masterpiece" is an example of this lack of proportion and balance. With regard to commercial glass, my understanding is that Cadillac had prohibited any change in the A-pillars due to placement of air bags in these pillars. Now, as far as I know, unless it has changed drastically (a real possibity), a funeral coach was always considered a "commercial vehicle" (like a truck) and therefore exempt from some of the safety standards that applied to passenger cars. They were even licensed in some states as "commercial vehicles". If this is still the case, the coachbuilders have a fair and reasonable argument over this with Cadillac...or GM...whomever is causing the problem. Now, that's my two cents worth on the issue.

The roof heights are not really any bigger than the older coaches, the small standard glass makes it look taller. The overall height of the 2013 S&S Masterpiece comes in at 70.3 inches, (1.5 inches more than the 93-96 Masterpiece). Also you mentioned the rear headroom being too high and 38-42 is all that is really required. The loading door is 40.5" top to bottom, so that IS in the range. As for table length, all coachbuilders have always bragged and compared each other since the beginning of the auto hearses. Overall car length is 249 inches, no longer than the old hearses (actually 6.9 inches shorter than the 93-96 Masterpieces that are so sought after), so not sure what it too long about them. In comparison, these are only about 18 inches longer than the small FWD coaches in the mid 80s, that many funeral directors thought were too small.

I can't buy the standard glass as being the reason for the wedge shape. yes if you had taller glass it would be more aesthetic but the ups van gets a raised roof with stand glass and doesn't look like a wedge. back when comet was building cars on standard chassis in the 50s they all got a raised back door raised roof and none looked like a door stop. to me it's people that need to get out from behind that computer and step out on a design floor. what is it they don't make clay any more? the more I see the more a agree with my son. 'you might be able to create 1 million shovel ready jobs in America. but you can't find 1 million shovel ready people to fill them".

I can't buy the standard glass as being the reason for the wedge shape. yes if you had taller glass it would be more aesthetic but the ups van gets a raised roof with stand glass and doesn't look like a wedge. back when comet was building cars on standard chassis in the 50s they all got a raised back door raised roof and none looked like a door stop. to me it's people that need to get out from behind that computer and step out on a design floor. what is it they don't make clay any more? the more I see the more a agree with my son. 'you might be able to create 1 million shovel ready jobs in America. but you can't find 1 million shovel ready people to fill them".

Correct, but you have to remember in new cars the windshield is layed back a lot farther instead of vertical like the old glass. Makes a big difference in stance.

Back