Wigwag Question (Part II)

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
On my list is to install wigwags on the car. I was thinking of usine a mechanical alternative flasher unit as this one for this purpose since I have a spare one. This would also be period correct since this unot is used to alternate the flashing pattern for the roof lights.

Would anyone here have a disgram that I could use for this purpose or any suggestions on how to wire this project properly?

1721657296278.png
1721657313278.png

Motor driven flasher. Most likly center hot and the outside the flasher. So switched wire would go to the center. It would power the motor when it was hot. As the motor turns a cam on the shaft will open and close the points every rotation. You will need to cut the power wire to the high beam headlights and splice in a wire from each termonal to each light on the power side. Me i would just unplug the light and add a ground wire and the power wire to each light. Keeping my origional harness intack. You could use this to power separate grill light also. If you expect to drive your car on the open road at night. Wig wags are great in town but not so good on the highway.

Thanks Ed. I want to wire the system so that the high beams operate normally when the wigwags are not on. Also very goos point regarding keeping the harness intact.

There is just no way to wire them and still get all 4 on with the dimmer switch. If you just tap into the wire harness then you would flash both on the either side. But they would both come on with the dimmer switch.

if you wire the flasher into the original hot wire from the wire harness to the lights, the lights will work normally when the flasher is off and will stay illuminated when the high beams are turned on when the flasher is activated on the high beam circuit.

Back