What are these coils doing? (70 Superior)

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
I stuck my phone inside the back right quarter panel through where a plate. normally goes. I can tell where a lot of wires go based on what switch or dial they go to...but I've never seen wires and coils like this!!!
Anxious for feed-back!!
Thanks

Attachments

• FA2ED966-6CD8-4CBB-B7D2-A8B09F4438B9.jpg
    FA2ED966-6CD8-4CBB-B7D2-A8B09F4438B9.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 153
They're ceramic voltage dropping resistors.
Possibly used to get multiple speeds fro fan motors or such..
Similar resistor is used to drop voltage to a 6 volt rake equipped trailer from a 12 volt vehicle.

e aware they do generate plenty of heat in use so they need to be in a clean area that gets checked reguarly. They will bring a mouse nest to ignition fairly fast.

You sure need to find out what they do (are there for). As Walt points out in use they are big time heat generators when in use. If you have a switch in the back for some kind of muti speed fan thats their use. Make sure the circut is fused. .

If I remember well, those are the voltage resistors for the rear heater fan located way back in the patient compartment on the driver side. I my 67 Pontiac those were attached to the wheelwell.

One side goes to the fan motor, the other side goes to the Off / Low / Medium / High rotary switch.

I need yo get myself another ambulance so that I can go and look at it to make sure my memory is correct!!!!!

Do you also have a picture of where the plate usually goes? There is probably something missing. I do not remember any access plates in that area.

Thanks everyone

I have had several ambulances before (including Superiors) and never made this discovery. In Florida, I removed the under-chassis hoses because they looked bad laying over the motor and I wasn't ever going to use heat.
Here in SC, I have blocked said hose on the MM. This unit is less than a foot away from the control panel (roof lights, etc).
In my prior projects, this is where I always found rats' nests. I was prepared.
Historical technology! Thanks everyone

Memory just popped up, back in the 60s the Sheriff was moving lights onto new cars coming on line. Stingy Albert invested in some 4 light rotating beacons and had the mechanic mount them on roofs and put the old sirens behind the grill.

Funding ran a little short so the mechanic dug into his stash and found a box of Cole Herse heater switches, 6 volt with the resistor built in to act as an indicator lamp. It worked, pretty much, until Deputies learned they could dial the beacon down. Somebody in comand thought it was a great idea, since rotation at different speeds got more attention. Somebody else figured out running a second wire to keep the light full on while rotation ran at whatever.

I said absolutely nothing to keep from volunteering to help the "mechanic".

Maybe a year later Sheriff's radio comes alive with a Deputy in heap big trouble. They'd beaten the motors near to death running em slow, and a lot of guys developed the habit of reaching over to punch the roof and get the light rotating. This guy used the heal of his hand and learned he was attached to the roof with about an inch of sheet metal screw. He was also no longer in position to drive the 3 on the tree Chevy Biscaine.

He rode to the hospital sort of holding a chunk of roof with flasher base attached. Took quite a while for the hand to heal so he could shoot.

Back