Warning for e-bay users - Please read before choosing shipping options

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I just learned the hard way that shipping medical devices through eBay's Global Shipping Program will result in having the item declared as "restricted" and the item will be "disposed of" by the shipping contractor.

Attempts to resolve the issue with both eBay and Pitney Bowes have been unsuccessful as Pitney Bowes will not discuss the issue with me as it has to be resolved through eBay, and eBay will not discuss the issue with Pitney Bowes because they do not control their shipping policies.

I do not know who else to reach out to, looks like there may be a Physio Control LP4 in the garbage dumpster at the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Centre in Erlanger, Kentucky.

I just learned the hard way that shipping medical devices through eBay's Global Shipping Program will result in having the item declared as "restricted" and the item will be "disposed of" by the shipping contractor.

Attempts to resolve the issue with both eBay and Pitney Bowes have been unsuccessful as Pitney Bowes will not discuss the issue with me as it has to be resolved through eBay, and eBay will not discuss the issue with Pitney Bowes because they do not control their shipping policies.

I do not know who else to reach out to, looks like there may be a Physio Control LP4 in the garbage dumpster at the Pitney Bowes Global Shipping Centre in Erlanger, Kentucky.
J-M, I had a large collection of vintage first aid material face the same fate. Just old bandages (a lot of them), in a metal box. As you say, it is not returned to the seller, but was disposed of. I was refunded, and I presume he credited.

Bandages....crazy!!!!

I spoke to the seller and he claims that he did not know the rule about medical equipment either. I have no reason not to believe him. If he did not know, he knows now.

so why did they let him sell it?

Because it is eBay and they only care about the money that they earn on the sale of items. It was described on the customs forms as medical equipment is my best guess as to how they knew. I had eBay ban some beacons that I had listed because they were considered by eBay to be police items, which they don't allow. The biggest problem with eBay is that they have rules set in stone, and have no idea how to fix them. Possibly the seller can have it returned to him. The shipper is the one that has to intervene to get it returned.

Possibly the seller can have it returned to him. The shipper is the one that has to intervene to get it returned.
This is not even an option for the seller. Once it reached the Pitney Bowes warehouse if it is on the blacklist, then they take possession of the item and eBay reimburses the buyer. My guess is that all of these confiscated items (Tim and I must not be the only ones) must be sold at auction or something so that so they can recuperate part of their money, so maybe in another 6 months, the LP4 will reappear on eBay or on FB Market.

Back