use it or lose it

Status
Not open for further replies.

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we like to think we can keep our cars for ever but keeping them under cover and all. but I got into the the 73 today to back it out and get the dust washed off. besides I wanted to see the light working out of the car port. now mind you I was just in this car Friday in and out 3 or 4 times and all. we had a lot of rain here this week and it froze last night. who knows what happened but today the windshield has a foot long crack running down from the top.
I ran the 86 around the block before I put it away after our trip Moms birthday. went out the next day with the dog and found the center for one of the hub caps laying in the street. of course 15 or 20 other people had run over it before I got to it.

moved the 72 into the garage to see about a few things on it and discovered that the weather striping for the doors had stuck to the jams.

I tell you these cars are a curse. now none of this is big stuff the glass is insured, I have another set of wheel covers and the weather striping did not tear off just lay-ed a layer down I needed to clean off. but it just goes to show you use it or lose it if you do nothing these things will fall apart before your vary eyes. if you use it they fall apart before your vary eyes. but I did discover you need to get into them more often.

Attachments

• IMG_5111.jpg
    IMG_5111.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5113.JPG
    IMG_5113.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 154
Well John I feel your pain. I finally had a day off and it was a very nice day, I pulled out my 63 and started to clean the interior(wash windows, vacuuming and cleaning years of grime off all the leather door panels) when I noticed a small crack in the windshield. My car is in a garage with about 6 antique fire trucks. I have no idea how the windshield got cracked, must have been one of the firetrucks.

... found the center for one of the hub caps laying in the street ... moved the 72 into the garage to see about a few things on it and discovered that the weather striping for the doors had stuck to the jams ... the glass is insured, I have another set of wheel covers and the weather striping did not tear off ...
Regardless of the damages or what you already have "in the garage" to repair them, the bottom line is that "you have to repair them" to keep them drivable.

All the ladies that frequent this site, please disregard the following statement... Old cars are just like women, they need daily maintenance to operate properly. There is always something that needs attention or needs fixed. Believe me, I love my cars and I also love my wife (very much), but every day, something new comes to light that I should have or could have done to make things better. It is a never ending battle, but what else can we do other than selling all of our cars?

small crack may be stopped. they can drill the end and back fill it. usually it will not go away but it will stop it from running any more till you get one. I really had better use for a couple hundred dollars on this car then glass right now. but life and lemons. it need a glass anyway. but if you have a car pick up spare parts. I have a set of taillights for each car. at least. but I also have a spare windshield left over from last years job. small things like the center of the wheel cover missing really make them look bad. but they are easy enough to pick up when you don't need them. impossible to find when you do. I keep a box in the attic were the parts go. each box label for each car. I thought I was doing it right when I got 2 72 olds. but there both way different cars to. you can't keep then in a time warp. daily matance is required

I think I will try to have the glass drilled, for now. I am going to buy another windshield, does anybody have any suggestions on places to buy glass for these cars, or are these old windshields easy to get?

Windshields

These are old NAGS #S (National Auto Glass)
The #s I believe are the same but the prefixes have changed , most glass shops can interchange these #s
59-64 W678 Also Fits 75 Series Limos 59-65
65-70 W761
71-76 W788
You can also try Pilkington Glass. They routinely make the procar windshields for that era from original manufacturing equipment.
Try www.Glasssearch.com www.pilkingtonclassics.com or 1-800-848-1351. Ask for Al.
Special pricing for PCS members is available

Windshields

The windshield rubber is also available since this is the same as Limos from 59-65. Unless the old one is fairly new or extremely good shape, now is the time to replace it. On my 61 S&S the top chrome over the windshield gasket bolts down thru the roof. The headliner has to be dropped to get to these retainers. Defiantly use a known good glass shop.

Thanks Dan, going to the insurance man tomorrow, I have a good glass shop, and the headliner needs to be replaced. That was a project I am going to tackle at the end of the summer along with the rest of the interior. I will replace the gaskets, there appears to be melted rubber around the top of the windshield anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back