Urban Explorer visits abandoned Southern Funeral home with two "hearse cars" left behind

Abe Bush

PCS Member
Unfortunately when he visits the two coaches in the garage, one is a '77-78 hearse (unknown coach-builder), and the other one appears to be a early 70s end loader, possibly late 60s but the garage is so incredibly tight he can't show very much of either car, and really all you can see is the landau bows, a portion of the driver's compartment of the 'newer' coach, and the steering wheel of the older coach along with a pan of the rear interior showing that it's not a combo, and likely not side-servicing.

While he does call them "hearse cars", he does correctly identify them as hearses and not HURSTS. :thumbup:

The first was a 77-79 S&S Cadillac Victoria. I'm leaning towards the 77 due to the steering wheel. The second was a 71-72 Superior Cadillac. Again, the steering wheel and front fender lead me to think that it was a 71. Someone with more expertise can certainly positively identify both cars.

Just watched this video and a few more of other abandoned funeral homes. Some of them must have been just gorgeous in their days!

Now I am curious as to why some of the owners seemed to just lock the door and leave with the content of the business still all there. I assume that most of the equipment, cars, caskets etc. could be sold to other funeral homes or private individuals?

There was one that was video'd that the "back story" was that the funeral home was sold, and something went wrong with the sale, and the two parties were in litigation, and neither wanted to give in, and the building just went into disrepair, and the homeless took over the place. Going from memory, I believe that it was Richard Vyse that told me that information.

Used to "coach" a bunch of those explorers from a local college. They are pretty much a danger to themselves and paramedics who will eventually have to carry them out.

Rochester has a 13 story former mental hospital the State abandoned auctioned and walked away from, naturally it had to be explored. I was at the auction so I knew the building and gave specific instructions. I was very absolute about blocking doors they went thru so nobody got locked in.. I was even more specific at the pre entry meeting insisting on such items as Kotex for trauma dressings splints & duct tape. Also taught them to walk up to cops with camera in hand and ask what was going on and where could go to get the best pics. Worked like a charm since Rochester cops are well acquainted with RIT students and their cameras.

I get a call with picture attached. "what is it and how do we get it off the wall?" It was 850+ pounds of cast iron bedpan washer that had drawn their attention. Told them what it was, what it weighed and suggested a chainfall. My commentary was viewed as criticism by some of the team, so I quit.

I can understand the need to explore in a young person, but some of them frighten me.

Back