U Joints and Carrier Bearing

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I will be replacing the seals on the differential because the front one is leaking, so I figure this is as good of a time as any to refresh everything between the differential and the transmission.

I have 2 questions:

Question 1 - U Joints
I have been looking at YouTube to see how to replace the U Joints and I have seen some of the videos that talk about some U Joints that are injected with plastic.

Looking at the U joints on the car they seem to have that little dab of plastic on the outside of the casing on every one of them. Is it safe to assume that these are the plastic-injected ones?

Question #2 - Carrier bearings
Does anyone have a part number for the carrier bearing?

Two questions are they grease able and are they tight? If so some things a best left alone. Key things are transmision seal and the pinion seal. Look the joint over there may be a keeper on the inside on those. If so it's press in and out for those. The plastic keepers were mostly on the consistent velocity shafts. As i recall on the plastic ones there is a hole drill in the side to inject them with.

The ones on the 54XL are non greaseable and they have the injection hole ( at least I assume that it is what that hole is there for).

The joints that have the plastic injection pin are only on driveshafts that are installed at the factory. New u joints (universal joints or cross bearings) that are sold as replacements will have a retainer clip installed in place of the plastic injection pins. They have factory-sealed grease in them and are non-greaseable types of bearings. If you want to do it yourself, you will need a press or large vice on a workbench to do the job. I used to do them myself in my younger day, but now leave that job to a machine shop that has the proper tools and knowledge to do it without damage. Getting them apart isn't the difficult part, but getting the new bearings in is where it can get hairy. The same goes for the carrier bearing.
With the driveshaft in the vehicle, push on the shaft at the bearing location and see if there is movement in the axis of the bearing, and then rotate the shaft 90 degrees and do it again. If it is tight, then don't mess with it. If you decide that you want the U joints replaced, then find a shop that can balance the entire driveshaft also.
Changing the pinion shaft bearing isn't as difficult a job if you have a drive-on lift to work off of. You will need to mark the pinion shaft and the nut, and then count the number of revolutions of the nut as you remove it, so you get it set correctly when you reinstall the nut. Behind the nut is what is known as a crush collar, which is set when the original differential gears are installed, and you don't want to disturb that setting. Once again, if you have never done one before or assisted someone that has, it is better left to the people with the proper tools and knowledge. If you mess it up, it can get expensive quickly. I was taught how to remove and replace the nut by an old-time experienced mechanic when I was young, but today I wouldn't think about doing one again.
The last time that I had to do one was on my former 1963 Chrysler New Yorker ambulance, which also needed axle seals. What I thought was going to be a fast and easy job turned out to be a complete rebuild, and took me a week to complete. I opened a can of worms that was difficult to get all the worms back into. Someone had been in there before me and didn't know what they were doing, so the entire unit had to be replaced, and like the Cadillac commercial chassis differential, the Chrysler unit was also as scarce as hen's teeth.
If you decide that you want to tackle either of these projects, I suggest that you call Dan Scully, our PCS technical advisor, and discuss it with him and then decide how you want to move forward.
Best of luck to you.
Paul

Yes thats what i do when it comes to heavy iron. using Paul's advice on the pinion nut one could change that seal and the transmision seal. Take the drive line to a shop that does them to change them. The carrier baring is not pressed on. So changing that is just a couple of bolts. But like with all things the lets change it while it out. Is a decision you need to make. But as for the carrier bearing if its not bad keep the old one in a plastic bag. A few years from now they might get hard to find again.

The transmission seal is a very straightforward item. You remove the driveshaft and then pull out the old seal, insert the new seal and slowly tap with a hammer all around the seal until it is fully seated in the tailshaft. If you have difficulty pulling the old seal out, then drill a small hole into the seal's metal edge, insert a sheet metal screw, and then pull on the screw using a vice grip. Getting a good quality seal today is more difficult, and I usually search the part number on eBay for a NOS or a Made in USA seal. This is the problem that I had with the axle seals on the 1963 Chrysler, the only seals that I could find were the "Made in China" seals, and the steel shell was so soft that they distorted before they were fully seated in the housing. I did find a pair of NOS seals and they fit perfectly without any problems.

Back