stuff

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
been working on the 53 twicking few thing on it discovered the fuel put is mot pumping. it looks to me like a inside the engine problem. I want to swap the 64 and it around so we can do a few things on it. I can get e minor inside things on the pon in the other garage. but need more room on the pinner. so while we wait on a electric put to arrive. hard time finding on that was rated at 4-5,1/4 psi. we are preparing the Pimmer to move. need to change out the power steering unit not a fun task. but then some of you know I dislike mechanical work.IMG_4792.JPGIMG_4793.JPGIMG_4794.JPG

The unit puts ful power to the left as soon as you start it. The the shaft on the ram is bad rustec so the a right turn will put the rust into the seal. I have had the unit for a couple 3-4 months now time to get it on.

There is a procedure to center the steering ram explained in the service manual. Whenever you replace the ram, you need to reset it to neutral. The instructions are for the Corvette, however, the adjustment is the same for all 1958-1964 full size Chevrolet cars. The adjustment instructions start at approximately 5 minutes into the film.

If you need a new ram, they are available on Rock Auto rebuilt for about $80 with a $20 core charge. I also noted in your picture that you are missing the protective sleeves on the hoses that go through the hose retainer bracket. These are important to protect your hoses. Where you buy your parts can make a big difference, because price alone doesn't necessarily mean that they are the same quality. I was warned about this when I had my engine out, and was looking for some items. Some reproductions are a better quality than others, and there are some reproductions that everyone sells that are all the same. I rely on the people that have restored these cars to tell me who makes the best reproduction, so I don't waste money on a poor reproduction.

I got my parts out of the back of the car. No mention of a sleeve in the service manual but we can come up with one. The cylinder came from Rock auto this morning. would have had it on by now but dental appointment and a food run to rapid took top billing. So tomarrow it is and we can start it again and see. The electric pump for the 53 came in so if it doesn't snow to much this weekend maybe we can get them swaped. I hope that works

together again. hope fully for the last time. I do have new springs and shocks. If I remember my inventory some tie rod ends but they can wait till I get it moved and start in earnest. copied down the hose routing from the video. discovered I'm not working on a Corvet during insulation. so hoses are either right or wrong. it took me 20 minnents to get that front one on the ram in. they are stiff. and that Chinese flue left me kind of weak with every joint feeling like it has bursitis in it. up and down is not fun right nowIMG_4803.JPGIMG_4804.JPGIMG_4805.JPG

I can check mine if necessary, however, I believe that they can only go on one way. You will need to put rubber sleeves over the hoses so they don't rub through. I can get you a picture if you need one. Paul

Same thread top and bottom. Which is strange. But got it fired up to day. The wheels went left in spurts. so we traded them on the ram. The fired it up again. The it went slowly right. But you could one finger it left. So it will take a little adjustment. Funny thing is the rebuilder clams it was all ready centered properly and if i touch it i void the warintee. Great system the have going. But i would guess if it was on the ground it would not drift. Any way i can drive it now using a bucket for gas and a hot wire for the ignition so it better then when it arived.

Back