stopped by for a visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while sence I had time to prowl though the website and the cars I have been busy on other projects and the weather is still not greaat here in the northwest mostly rain so I need to keep the cars inside were they will stay safe and warm.
I got new air shocks today for the limo and got them installed but it got me thinking that this car must have come with a self level system from the parts i see left over above the rear axle and i was wondering where the compresser would be located? and my most complexing problem how do you turn the trunk light on? I see no switch or button and the wire runs from the light in the trunk lid to behind the rear seat hope every one is well

some of them only come on with the headlights. if the parks aren't on the under hood and trunk light stay off. the compressor is normally on the left inerfender.

The 1960's cars used a vacuum operated air compressor that was mounted on the right hand side, tucked between the fire wall and the right inner panel. It had to be removed to service the power antenna, and many times they were not put back, since the air shocks had already failed and were replaced with regular shocks. The later ones were electrically operated, and were mounted on the left inner panel, and they usually failed before the shocks. There should be linkage between the body and the rear differential that would open a valve and allow the shocks to fill with air. If the car ride hight got too high when the load was removed, then the valve system would allow air to escape from the shocks. When it was working properly, it did a great job of keeping the car level. Problem was that most people didn't understand the system, and removed some or all of the components when either the shocks or the compressors failed.
The trunk lid light is a mercury operated switch. Check to see if there is current at the lamp, and that the correct bulb is installed. They are basically very easy to service, and usually only need a slight adjustment to get them to come on when the trunk lid is up, and off when the trunk lid is down. GM didn't use any other type for as long as I can remember. If all else fails, then remove the light and bench test for proper operation and repair as necessary..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back