Starter motor and solenoid

Need the part number off of the original starter. As Dan said, any local rebuilder can rebuild it. Most likely all it needs is a good cleaning, brushes, and possibly a new solenoid. I had mine for my 1962 Chevrolet rebuilt since it was original to the car. They rebuilt the starter drive (bendix drive), the solenoid, and installed new brushes and turned the commutator on the armature. It is perfect and when I got it back it was painted and looked and worked like new. Cost was under $100 and that was about 6 or 7 years ago, so today it might cost $150. I caution you not to get an exchange unit because they are usually made of of parts from other starters and will give you less than long starter life. If you go the auto parts rebuilt unit, then pay the core charge and keep your original starter.

Get the old solenoid back from the rebuilder because the part has a date code that is valuable to some collectors that want to keep their cars "numbers matching". Solenoids can be easily rebuilt unless they are totally burned out, which seldom happens. The large thick copper disk inside of the starter can be turned over or replaced giving it a new contact surface as well as the points on the inside can be replaced. Some rebuilders don't want to spend the time to repair when replacement is cost effective. I always save every part that comes off of an old car when it is replaced because it is part of the history of the car. You never know when a part that is available today isn't available next time you need one, and having the old part give a visual reference when you start shopping for that obsolete part.

Back