Spineboards

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
What do you have in your ambulances for short and long spineboards? Post your pictures here so we can compare. I bet you that there are many variations out there!

I went through my inventory to find out that I do not have a long wooden spineboard. I had one, but I must have given it away at some point. The plan may be to make one this weekend.

Long and short Ferno aluminum boards, short wooden board and early KED.
Spineboards 01.jpg

Instructions on the back of the short aluminum spineboard
Short Aluminum Spineboard 02.jpg

Plans for my wooden spineboard
Long Wooden Spineboard Plan.jpg

What do you have in your ambulances for short and long spineboards? Post your pictures here so we can compare. I bet you that there are many variations out there!

I went through my inventory to find out that I do not have a long wooden spineboard. I had one, but I must have given it away at some point. The plan may be to make one this weekend.

Long and short Ferno aluminum boards, short wooden board and early KED.

Instructions on the back of the short aluminum spineboard

Plans for my wooden spineboard
I have multiple wooden boards if you want one.

The best I have seen is a SCOOP. Separates in the middle to scoop the patient then clasps back together for transport. They are perfect for compression fractures.

Got a 5/8 sheet of plywood from Home Depot and got them to cut me 2 sections of 18". I spent the last few hours transfering my initial drawing onto one of the 18" sections. If it is not too cold tomorrow I'll move up into the garage and cut it up.
20230225_224314.jpg

I remember using the stair chair to take a person out of the local cave. They were about a mile from the exit and about 3 flights of stairs. The path was to narrow for a wheel chair. I was glad for the stair chair.

Today I fabricated a second spineboard. Surely went faster than when I did the first one. I spent quite a bit of time sanding the boards getting them ready to be varnished tomorrow hopefully.

Long Wooden Spineboard 01.jpg
I used the first board to trace the second one and then used the router and the template I built last week to do the handles.

Long Wooden Spineboard 02.jpgLong Wooden Spineboard 03.jpg

Not paying attention I nicked the template with the router bit which caused issues with the smoothness of the handles, so I used sawdust and super glue to fill the hole. Problem solved.
Long Wooden Spineboard 04.jpg

Today I fabricated a second spineboard. Surely went faster than when I did the first one. I spent quite a bit of time sanding the boards getting them ready to be varnished tomorrow hopefully.

View attachment 49478
I used the first board to trace the second one and then used the router and the template I built last week to do the handles.

View attachment 49479View attachment 49480

Not paying attention I nicked the template with the router bit which caused issues with the smoothness of the handles, so I used sawdust and super glue to fill the hole. Problem solved.
View attachment 49481
Nice job on both boards !....dont forget to spray paint your name/service on the underside for that touch of authenticity !!:)

Nice design. I dont think i have ever seen one with a taper.
The boards my department used in the 80’s weren’t tapered either.

For authenticity you might want to mark them with an agency or service name. We did as many times we transported to a larger regional hospital and had to leave our boards, straps and collars with the patient at the facility. We regularly transported 90 or so miles via ground and couldn’t wait several more hours for our equipment. Presbyterian (Albuquerque) had a room that they would leave the equipment for the outstate crews to retrieve later.

Unfortunately there were a couple of low budget private services that would treat the equipment room as their private shopping center and “liberate” it. It was kind of humorous that one of our volunteers worked weekends for one of those low budget services and while he was on duty he would look for our marked equipment and re-liberate it.

Back