Spare Tire Found In My '64 Superior Pontiac LWB Ambulance

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
This is the spare found under the floor in my recent purchase. I just can't myself to pitch this one! It would be awesome to get these back in production! Could this possibly be from the original set of tires? I did find an ad for these tires on-line from 1963.'64 Spare Tire 4.jpg'64 Spare Tire 1.jpg'64 Spare Tire 6.jpg'64 Spare Tire 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that the original tires would have been a 6 ply rated tire, and at least a 8.00 x 15. That might be a replacement tire.

Don't know when they started to cast the date into the sidewall of the tire, but it might help to determine its age, if you can find a date. Most likely it will be on the back side of the tire..

63-was the beginning of a few changes in tires, including the short lived experience with Rayon cord tires.
New cars were arriving on dealer lots with 2 ply/4ply rating tires and salesmen were using a rock and patches of fabric to demonstrate how 2 ply was better. I can close my eyes and still see Harry the salesman demonstrating the superior flex of 2 plys over 4.

I also remember Harry finding a way to put 4 ply Firestones on the new Chevelle Mom was in love with because he really wanted to sell the car..

Rayon went away, Nylon came in and next thing we got glass belted tires with wide footprints that stuck to the pavement. Then we got steel belted radials.

Back