Skeleton rack for high top ambulance

Tim Prieur

PCS Member
The EMS Foundation here has a 73 Superior 48" ambulance. While it attends funerals, it has never carried a casket. There is the interest to explore this. With this in mind:
1. Has anyone here ever seen this done with a straight ambulance.
2. I presume the rear springs/shock would have to be tested/modified for such a weight, and "holes" placed in the floor to fix the rack to the car. Anything else structurally I am missing?
3. It does not have any additional bench, so presume dimensions would be acceptable.
4. Does anyone know of such a rack that might be available?

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

A good short term solution is similiar to what Richard mentioned, we had someone that wanted the 91 Suburban ambulance for the funeral because the deceased, "hated hearses...". We used a casket quilt on the floor and it slid in and out easily, however, that is probably not what you would want long term but provides a way you can do it.

When I opened the funeral home in 1997, I bought a long Ford Aerostar to use as First Call, Service and flower car. I had a floor built and installed cot cups and bought a roller rack from one the supply companies that had receivers that were drilled into the floor. The roller rack had spring loaded fasteners that clipped into the floor receivers. I was pretty proud of that. Fast forward, I bought a long Navigator and remembered that in the 1970s, if we had to haul a casket in one of the station wagons, we would put a cut broom stick under the casket in several place and roll it in then remove the broom sticks during transport. Replace when unloading. I went to the lumber yard and bought some one inch wooden dowels about 18 inches long. They worked perfectly. I maybe spent $ 5.00.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. Kurt, thank you for your offer. Getting it shipped across the border at a reasonable price is a definite problem, given past experience.
One of the Foundation board family members is in the funeral industry, and we may try the carpet option with one of the cars.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. Kurt, thank you for your offer. Getting it shipped across the border at a reasonable price is a definite problem, given past experience.
One of the Foundation board family members is in the funeral industry, and we may try the carpet option with one of the cars.
You could put it in the 70 and sneak it in.

Back