repair those rubber parts

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
we have all seen that side or back glass grommet that has weathered and split. look in all the sources and nothing side glass yes on some or at least something that will work but all you have is damage on one corner. if you change one side then there different.
here is a trick to get it to work. our modal here is a 1989 Caprice wagon. we'll call it a first-call car. the rear window sweep is heat cracked as only they do. no replacement arable for the wagon I could find. first, we clean it up, with a scrub with say 220 grit paper or a scotch pad to remove the dead rubber and dirt. wipe down with thinner to remove any oil and open up the rubber. then the big thing we will need to tape off anything we don't want to loosely tape it will use a thin cardboard between the rubber and the glass. shim the grommet to move things as close together as possible. if you have a buddy in a glass shop this next step is easy. you need some urethane. yes, the stuff they glue the glass in with. parts house has its 30 bucks a tube once open its self-life is limited. you will need to vary a little. use a putty knife to fill in the gaps. splits and or cracks. keep your excess down as much as possible because it sands like rubber if you need to use tape to pull things together do that after filling the gap. then walk away stop playing with things let it sit overnight. tomorrow you can pull the tape off and the cardboard out. look it over well, and trim the edges off with a sharp razor blade. taking care not to cut into the soft compound. then use some sandpaper to trim and shape it up. when you get it into shape if you need to add more to complete the repair do that now taking all the precautions you did the first time to protect things you don't want a trip on. thinner is the only way to clean it off and it has to be fresh to do that. here are my results. I made a token swipe at it on the spire of the moment and had to redo it. it needs to be clean to stick.

IMG_0082.JPGIMG_0085.JPGIMG_0092.JPGIMG_0094.JPGIMG_0102.JPGIMG_0103.JPGIMG_0104.JPG

FYI............ Carl at CW Coach is about to toss one of these same tailgates(1980-1990), totally rust-free, into the scrap roll-off. If any interest, contact Carl NOW! His is off of an Olds, however.

Back