Question regarding 1975 & 1976 Superior ambulances floor configuration

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
Looking at pictures of other 54XL (and I assume that it is the same for all 75 & 76 Superior ambulances) I noticed that the floor in my car is different than some other that I have seen.

As you can see in the attached picture "Side door view 01" the floor at the head of the stretcher extends by about a foot to accommodate the front loading wheels of the stretcher. This extension seems to be original to the car. In the other picture "Dr Richard side door view 01", the floor does not extend. I could not find any other pictures to compare with other cars.

What does your 75 or 76 ambulance have for floor configuration at the head of the stretcher or does anyone have any pictures of this area so we can compare? This may explain why the holes on the side bulkhead do not match the mounting brackets for the Ferno Model 1 cot bar, the one for the Model 30 stretcher. Maybe this car was never configured to carry a Model 30.Dr Richards side door view 01.jpgSide door view 01.jpg

I agree. You want a one man stretcher, this was the set up you got, to accept the front loading wheels,which sat forward. Some orders would have included it to deal with all options. I suspect this car used a cot bar mounted stretcher until late in life, when a single attendant stretcher was used. (Cannot believe it was ever used however without a cot horn). That is what the pictures show however when it was taken out of service. Maybe they just drove very slowly.

When I started in EMS one of our units had a Ferno Model 28 (the one that was in the XL when it was taken out of service). I can guarantee that if we would have been in a collision that stretcher would have become a lethal weapon for the attendant.

I did not like it because it only had 2 positions, full up and down and it must have been the most uncomfortable stretcher for our patients.

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever what model any of the stretchers are, I only know them as “Fernos”, and the one man cots vs. the two man, which have multiple positions and heights. The only stretcher I have liked was the ones like those used on EMERGENCY! That only have 4 wheels, and when in the full “up” position form what looks like an “X” underneath the “bed” portion of the litter. Modern stretchers still have the “X” look to them, but they’re now yellow instead of clear metal and they look to be more sturdy than the vintage cots.

Back