Paint Prep - Fire Damage

Patrick J. Martin

PCS Life Member/Illini Chapter President
I purchased a trunk lid off a junkyard car. The car was in the junkyard due to a severe fire that gutted the engine and entire passenger compartments, but stopped just as it reached the trunk. Most of the trunk lid is untouched, but the forward edge closest to where the car's rear window would have been, has the paint burned off and the metal is scorched.

I am wondering what additional steps or special process, if any, is needed to have this trunk lid repainted. Thanks for your input.

I used to do a lot of fire damaged vehicle repair, and even when we ground down to shiny fresh metal, prime and painted, it would invariably start to lift within a year. For this reason, we always replaced all fire damaged metal, and put on vinyl roofs if the roof was scorched. I have no idea what causes the metal to be effected by fire, but I know that there is never a good outcome in repainting longterm.

I used to do a lot of fire damaged vehicle repair, and even when we ground down to shiny fresh metal, prime and painted, it would invariably start to lift within a year. For this reason, we always replaced all fire damaged metal, and put on vinyl roofs if the roof was scorched. I have no idea what causes the metal to be effected by fire, but I know that there is never a good outcome in repainting longterm.

I too have always heard never use metal that has been burned as paint will not stay on it. Just what I was told but think there is something to it.

if you sand it down and use a metale prep to etch it then the self etching primer used as directed you shoud be OK for the damage you desribed.

I have always heard not to use the metal because like others have said no matter what you do it will lift. I guess you can try it and see if this proves to be right or wrong. At least its only a trunk lid that can be replaced instead of the side where the cost would be much greater.

a lot of difference in a scorched edge verse a burnt panel. the fire changes the temper of the panel. it also puts a lot of imperities into the steel from the burning. rust formes right away and is diffacult to remove.
but if you could not repaint the scoched edge how do you prepaint one you weld on??

a lot of difference in a scorched edge verse a burnt panel. the fire changes the temper of the panel. it also puts a lot of imperities into the steel from the burning. rust formes right away and is diffacult to remove.
but if you could not repaint the scoched edge how do you prepaint one you weld on??

Good point, never thought of the welding.

Back