Old school hand lettering

We had a sign painter here that did everything free hand. When he was finished you could measer the lettering and there would be no difference sid to side.

Life has taught me there are things I can do, and things I often know how to do I should let others do instead of wasting $$$$.
Mom was working for a Lawyer firm that had moved to their new office and was getting the glass lettered in gold leaf, a sign you were a BIG DOG. I was getting to watch the man work. Mom was I think gloating over my ability. Of course I understood separating the egg would yield the glue that held the gold leaf to the glass. Yup, by then I made a decent meringue too and understood egg whites & cream are only whipped in copper. The concept of gold being beaten between layers of goat skin so thin you could break the gold by touching it was new though.

One of the litigators standing there reading his messages told the painter he'd appreciate the painter answering my questions because he had to be in Court or he'd be there watching. The name partner only asked if they'd be asking questions individually or have a conference session with me. He regularly paid me to trail his wife to and from Court since she was Diabetic. Later in the day the painter asked Mom if he could send me to Sullivans for another book of leaf, 10 sheets make sure the envelope was sealed. He wanted to be sure because he'd be handing me $68- cash(1951). Partner reading phone slips tells him nothing to be concerned about, I'm the best messenger they have. Nobody looks at a kid with an envelope. I get to Sullivans the counter man is waiting to show me the book is sealed before he puts it in the envelope with the change. He was happy to answer my questions too. If I was going by in the future feel free to stop in for a Coke, he had spare time on the counter. He'd even walk me around and show me the monorail the cash baskets rode from counter to the cashier up on the balcony.

Got back to the Lawyer and learned to hang leaf on eggwhite and why it went on only in 1 direction especially if it was going to krinkle, and most important why the lettering hangs with and on the glass instead of level. I learned about black only and 2 tone shadowing the letter as well. Learned the whole back wears a raincoat of candy paper not butcher paper till the painter is finished, and individual letters get coated with Valspar clear # 10 varnish for their protection.

At end of day I learned even though there was a tiny gold W in the corner of Jay's I'd never be a sign painter. Just didn't have the hands for it according to the Master. It hurt to hear even if it was true. I also knew working in reverse inside glass was difficult, and I understood things 1000 men coming down the street never would.
I once more thanked my Grandmother for teaching me to see and possibly more important to remember what I have learned.

Twas a much different world back then, better/worse I never ran a scoresheet today I'm afraid to.

Life has taught me there are things I can do, and things I often know how to do I should let others do instead of wasting $$$$.
Mom was working for a Lawyer firm that had moved to their new office and was getting the glass lettered in gold leaf, a sign you were a BIG DOG. I was getting to watch the man work. Mom was I think gloating over my ability. Of course I understood separating the egg would yield the glue that held the gold leaf to the glass. Yup, by then I made a decent meringue too and understood egg whites & cream are only whipped in copper. The concept of gold being beaten between layers of goat skin so thin you could break the gold by touching it was new though.

One of the litigators standing there reading his messages told the painter he'd appreciate the painter answering my questions because he had to be in Court or he'd be there watching. The name partner only asked if they'd be asking questions individually or have a conference session with me. He regularly paid me to trail his wife to and from Court since she was Diabetic. Later in the day the painter asked Mom if he could send me to Sullivans for another book of leaf, 10 sheets make sure the envelope was sealed. He wanted to be sure because he'd be handing me $68- cash(1951). Partner reading phone slips tells him nothing to be concerned about, I'm the best messenger they have. Nobody looks at a kid with an envelope. I get to Sullivans the counter man is waiting to show me the book is sealed before he puts it in the envelope with the change. He was happy to answer my questions too. If I was going by in the future feel free to stop in for a Coke, he had spare time on the counter. He'd even walk me around and show me the monorail the cash baskets rode from counter to the cashier up on the balcony.

Got back to the Lawyer and learned to hang leaf on eggwhite and why it went on only in 1 direction especially if it was going to krinkle, and most important why the lettering hangs with and on the glass instead of level. I learned about black only and 2 tone shadowing the letter as well. Learned the whole back wears a raincoat of candy paper not butcher paper till the painter is finished, and individual letters get coated with Valspar clear # 10 varnish for their protection.

At end of day I learned even though there was a tiny gold W in the corner of Jay's I'd never be a sign painter. Just didn't have the hands for it according to the Master. It hurt to hear even if it was true. I also knew working in reverse inside glass was difficult, and I understood things 1000 men coming down the street never would.
I once more thanked my Grandmother for teaching me to see and possibly more important to remember what I have learned.

Twas a much different world back then, better/worse I never ran a scoresheet today I'm afraid to.
Walter, I love your wonderful words and pearls of wisdom!

Sort of oddity I've discovered as I age, many things come into relationship with each other that you never expect.

Odder still tossing strange relationships into something I write hooks the reader and he retains. It also lends credibility; I guarantee you my beloved references to whipping cream or eggwhites only in copper have given me a credibility that can't be bought for cash. Had to loosen my hardhat a couple sizes the day I heard "The Eggwhite guy says so and he obviously knows more than you do". I became good friends with that man's wife who was an excellent cook. Small details generate large billings.

Last real employer I had we made many tools to accomplish or improve the job. When we left the tool stayed with the job. Generally we made 2 generations of the tool and the best came back to our shop. Always made sure the customer understood he paid for the tool and he was keeping it for future need. Most customers were elated to have those tools, a contractor didn't cheat them out of what they paid for on this job. That looked real good on their next Review. (locked them into doing the job my way too) They neglected to realize their in house man who knew how to use the tool would probably be working for a new employer the next time the job needed doing. You can skateboard the top of a picket fence, but you need tooling to do it without getting hurt badly.

It's a strange world out there. You have no idea how many Maintenance Engineers brag on paying $126.73 per hour for a cute vacuum cleaner operator and can justify it on the basis of Fire Watch and shared liability. The Maids are more than willing to wear coveralls because we buy lunch, and the customer never knows who the girl in Tyvek actually works for.

Worst days were when I had to tell my dog he wasn't going in because I was sick.

Back