Mocom 70 Restoration

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
The great thing about this hobby is that there are so many things related to professional cars, in my case ambulances.

My friend gave me this old Mocom 70, so I figured why not see how hard it is to restore. Here are some before and after pictures. I still have to take it to an engraving shop tomorrow so they can engrave the graphics and the letters.

The original car had a GE radio. I have one coming in the mail, it should arrive in the next couple weeks. Then I'll have to decide if I go with the original radio for with a Motorola. So many decisions!!!PXL_20211130_024927100.jpgPXL_20211130_024908375.jpgPXL_20211130_023121934.jpgPXL_20210912_224952755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorola NOS faceplates show up regularly on eBay. Probably cost less than having it custom engraved.

Jean-Marc, here is the green bezel you need for your control head.

What paint did you use for the brown body>
Thanks Tim, but with the exchange and shipping we are looking at about $45 CAD.

The paint is what was recommended to me by the Mocom group, Rustoleum Gloss Almond.

Always a balancing act how to spend the money during restoration. Do you fix something or buy new. If i get used off the net is it in worse shape then what i have. We passed up getting a Re plated bumper off e bay for the 70, the man wanted 12,000 for it. Thought is was way to much. But turns out the 69-70 bumpers are a bad problem they all have rust between the mounts and the face bar. Spent about 40 hr repairing the bumper that came up with the car. It was all practice. Spent 350 and shipping getting a bumper Kurt found for us with only one side rust. It was small in a couple places and got 8 hr fixing it as i has made all the mistakes on the first one. We still need to recrome it. We will see if we are making money or losing it. But had we gotten the one off ebay and it was bad just shinny in the pictures ???

Always a balancing act how to spend the money during restoration. Do you fix something or buy new. If i get used off the net is it in worse shape then what i have. We passed up getting a Re plated bumper off e bay for the 70, the man wanted 12,000 for it. Thought is was way to much. But turns out the 69-70 bumpers are a bad problem they all have rust between the mounts and the face bar. Spent about 40 hr repairing the bumper that came up with the car. It was all practice. Spent 350 and shipping getting a bumper Kurt found for us with only one side rust. It was small in a couple places and got 8 hr fixing it as i has made all the mistakes on the first one. We still need to recrome it. We will see if we are making money or losing it. But had we gotten the one off ebay and it was bad just shinny in the pictures ???
Everything is a trade-off. For me, I like to do as much as I can myself. If I do not count my time it is usually cheaper unless I screw up, but the biggest factor is learning and doing.

One thing is for sure the cost of the various items (Lights, sirens, radios, etc) has skyrocketed since I was last in the market restoring the 67. If I was to liquidate all of the bits and pieces I saved from 10 years ago, I bet you that I would have several thousand dollars in my back pocket.

Back