Looking to Purchase Coach #2 (1996 Eureka) thoughts?

Dan Comoss

PCS Member
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not. I saw this coach listed on my local Craig's List (about 25 minutes from my house) and i'm considering purchasing it because, well, it's cheap and it's a hearse! I was looking for some tips on where to look for major rust issues and whatever else may be a concern. I don't expect this car to be perfect nor do I plan to make it perfect. I'm expecting it to need minor repairs like the brake lines (already mentioned in the add) possibly more things like hoses needing replaced. I believe it could be a good deal, but could also turn ugly quick. I don't think I would loose any money if I can get it under $2K.

I talked to the guy earlier today to get a feel since the pictures aren't the best. Summed up, it's an Eureka and has had the car for a few years. Originally he purchased off ebay from a girl in the Chicago area and had it shipped to PA. The girl claimed it was in excellent/ great condition, it wasn't. It has rust, but not rotted. The guy said he was planning to make it into a rat rod but decided not to due to it's condition. It's inspected until August. He said it runs and drives fine, and replaced a good bit of things already. The brake lines are rusty and should be replaced soon.

Any tips help would be appreciated. Depending on the response and questions I may take a bunch of photos tomorrow and post them here so everyone that's more familiar can look them over. Depending on everyones thoughts purchase on Saturday! Or I could use this money on my 72 instead!

Here's a link to the add. I hate that people post the absolute worst pictures possible!

Hi Dan, I own quite a few of these...mine are pretty crusty MN cars with very high mileage. I will second what Kurt said...check the frame, especially where the extensions were cut in and if the brake lines are bad...check the fuel lines as well.

Thanks everyone. I called the guy as we discussed yesterday. Between 5 and 5:30. He never answered. He told me he would be available all day and would be home.

What ticks me off is I drove to Danville first, then called from there. It was out of my way to go home first, so I went straight there. I ended up wasting about 40 minutes doing so!

I guess it is sort of a good thing because it has been raining steady all day. Crawling under a car to look around would not have been fun.

Perhaps I will call back on the weekend. I sort of keep thinking I can do a lot to my 72 with $2K! Not to mention having the additional tags, and insurance too!

Back