LED Replacement Bulbs

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I was looking for a chart that would outline which LED bulbs to use for replacement on my 76 and landed on this website.

I would like to find the ideal intense bulb for my 65 Pontiac "bullets". With a mechanical flasher the resistance issue is hopefully eliminated.

Look on ebay or Amazon for LED bulbs that interchange with the 12V 1156 base and be sure to get the red colored LED's to give a pure red hue without purple distortion. I used them on my '66 Superior Hightop that I sold to Jeff Hookway and they looked good. They draw less amps and last longer.

This is what I originally used in my Chevrolet... The nicest part of these lights is that they are extremely bright in the daylight, and they don't cause the lenses to look "pink" as happens with clear LED bulbs. I used a different type of LED bulb in my tractor, and it is much brighter. I have ordered these bulbs in red for my ambulance, however, they have yet to arrive from China.MVC-018L.JPGMVC-019L.JPGMVC-021L.JPG

Last edited:
Paul, what name/brand are they?

They just arrived from China on Saturday, and they are no name bulbs. 144 LED's encased in a clear plastic sarcophagus. I would say that they are comparable to the LED's that you used. The center light is a sealed beam, the outer are LED's.

MVC-021L.JPG

Yes, they would, however, the more LED's the brighter they are. Red LED's will make them even brighter, since the white will wash out the red lens when the illuminate. Look at the picture in post #6, and then replacing the white LED's with Red LED's in picture #9. As you can see, the Red LED's are as bright as the 35 watt sealed beam, but only draw about 3 or 4 amps. This is the description to search on eBay "Red 1156 BA15S LED 144SMD Canbus 20W" I suggest only buying the ones like in the picture below. I have tried a lot of different LED bulbs, and these are the brightest, and the least expensive.

Red 1156 BA15S LED 144SMD Canbus 20W.jpg

Make sure that the bulbs you are replacing have the same bases as the ones that you are ordering. 1156 bulbs have two pins 180 degrees opposed on the same plane and a single contact on the bottom. The 1157 look very similar, but the pins are 180 degrees apart, but are one low and one high or staggered as some might say. There are 2 contacts on the bottom. I ordered some double contact bulbs for the dome light, which should have an isolated ground, since on of the contacts on the bottom is positive, and the other contact is ground. Problem was that the shell was also grounded, so the light wouldn't turn off, since that circuit uses a ground to activate the bulb. Also, all LED's look alike, and you must make sure that if you order a specific color, that is what you get in the box.

Next to be replaced should be the tail lamps, front parking/directional, and the license plate bulbs. Make those Corvair taillights stand out when you step on the brake. You may also need to upgrade to an electronic flasher, because the amperage draw of the LED's is a lot less than conventional bulbs.

These are the ones that I believe will fit your car, but only a guess, since I haven't tried them yet, but similar to what I recommended for the emergency lighting.

2 Red 1157 BAY15D LED Canbus 144 SMD (rear) eBay #143867615317

2 Amber 1157 BAY15D LED Canbus 144SMD (front) eBay #143742583042 (I purchased this exact item for my tractor, and it worked out great.

I got these no name bulbs last year for my Superior. I tried one before it went to the body shop (still there). Big difference. I'll see if I can find where I got them from - probably ebay.

Note to seller
Item Id: 373013113659 Buyer's Vehicle: 1969 Cadillac Commercial Chassis Base Hearse 2-Door 7.7L 7735CC 472Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated

Sales order​

Sold by rickymotors2018 ( 1165 )Order number: 11-05375-20247Processed by PayPal
+ Show additional actions​

Delivered
$_1.JPG

10x Super White 1156 BA15S Car Rear Turn Signal Light 50 SMD LED Bulb 12V US

Item price$15.00
Quantity1
Item number373013113659
Shipping serviceUSPS First Class Package

Back