Latest PCS magazine cover car

Lynne Shelbourne

PCS Member
I thought members may like to see what the National "57 looked like when I bought it down in Alabama & how it looked when we finished it 2 years later. That was in about 1987. It's been so long the actual years escape me. My 80 year old brain don't work that well anymore. In trying to track down some history I spoke with Mr. Vernon Perry. This was many years ago & he could hardly hear me, but did tell me that all the old company records no longer existed.

I was able to track down the man that delivered the car to Dade County, Florida. (I wish I could remember his name.) However, he couldn't remember who purchased the car but did say the car was stock '57 Chevy red. (We later found a Dade County map in the headliner compartment.) It was my intentions to paint it red anyway, so it all worked out!!

I found it in Hemming's, contacted the owner & we made a deal. He met me in Nashville and we drove it home to Paducah, Kentucky. The first photo was taken in my backyard right after we got home. The 2nd. is right after I had sold my business and the car went with deal along with my "67 Olds 98 Hi-top. (Pics of it later.) I converted the car to a Bel Air as it was originally a 210. The rear bumper was replaced with a Nomad bumper because it just looked better. The interior, front & rear, was redone with all Bel Air trim in lieu of the faded material that was still in it. The entire rear floor, along with most of the wood side panels were all handmade & replaced by my late father-in-law. A Federal C-6B siren w/Propello Ray light was used, as it was and still is, one of the best looking & sounding "whistles" ever made in my opinion. I note that the Federal 173 dome has been replaced with one of unknown variety.

I have other pics of it being restored but I hope these will do for the time being. That's about the history of the car as best as I can recall it & hope you find it interesting.

.57 ambulance clown car0002.jpg57 ambulance.jpg57 ambulanceB0001.jpg

Back