Landau bars for mid-60s Superior

I'm wondering if the Landau Bars used on these cars were supplied by the same vendor to Meteor, Superior, etc - or were the bars different between the builders? Looking for a pair of bars for a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville - it's a combo, but my friend the owner wants the look to lean "more hearse". I'd leave it alone, but it's his car! If someone has a set for sale or has pictures of what they should look like, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Surprisingly those do fit and I can verify that. They're made from pot metal and break easy. If you have some shipped, make sure they are packed well and get insurance on them.
One of mine was broken on my 66 Pontiac short wheelbase consort. My car is a landau style combo. The replacement I got came off of a long wheelbase 68 superior Cadillac. If you're going to do it, get superior landau bars. They will differ by coach builder. Superior landau bars will look the best. And make sure they are placed correctly. Too often enough people put them on upside down or on the wrong sides.

I was thinking your car was a consort also. That thing is a full size coach. I think the only good way to make it a landau is to remove the band over the roof and delete the window. I'm not a fan of full window coaches but I have to admit that the band over the roof makes that car. Hopefully he chooses to leave it the way it is I know that those cars have the same structure underneath. At least on consorts. I've had mine opened up. You can see the framework for another window.

Last edited:
Please tell your friend not to alter that coach. If he wants to lean more hearse...buy a landau....and have two hearses🙂 plenty of them out there. I don't do full window cars either, but even I could not bring myself to ruin that car. Looks to be very nice. These cars are rare.. they are only original once. Too many survivors have been lost to such endeavors. Please tell your friend to leave that car as it sits. Tell him, for a full window coach it looks plenty hearse...great looking car....I think the rear pillar with a small landau would look crowded for space.

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member - Elected Director 2019-2022
Super Site Supporter
That limousine style coach as a combo would have removable panels that the bars would be attached to. On the super they attached to the molding with thumb screws. They would be painted body color. Easy enough to make a set out of at least 16 gage sheet steel.

That limousine style coach as a combo would have removable panels that the bars would be attached to. On the super they attached to the molding with thumb screws. They would be painted body color. Easy enough to make a set out of at least 16 gage sheet steel.
The removable panels certainly sound like a better option - if he can find a set of Superior landau bars.

Abe Bush

PCS Member
I checked "Superior the Complete History" by Thomas A. McPherson (Copyrighted), and here are a few examples of smaller and/or removable landau panels on various coaches from 1965-1972. There were no Pontiacs with removable landau panels visible until the 1972 Pontiac combo, below. But it looks like there are much smaller Superior landau panels out there, if you can find them. I have no clue if the removable landau panels from the 1965-? Cadillac Superior combinations would fit a 1965 Pontiac Superior combination.

IMG_2750.jpgIMG_2750.jpgIMG_2750.jpgIMG_2751.jpgIMG_2752.jpgIMG_2753.jpgIMG_2754.jpgIMG_2755.jpgIMG_2756.jpg

I checked "Superior the Complete History" by Thomas A. McPherson (Copyrighted), and here are a few examples of smaller and/or removable landau panels on various coaches from 1965-1972. There were no Pontiacs with removable landau panels visible until the 1972 Pontiac combo, below. But it looks like there are much smaller Superior landau panels out there, if you can find them. I have no clue if the removable landau panels from the 1965-? Cadillac Superior combinations would fit a 1965 Pontiac Superior combination.

View attachment 48037View attachment 48037View attachment 48037View attachment 48038View attachment 48039View attachment 48040View attachment 48041View attachment 48042View attachment 48043
Excellent pictures! Thanks - I'll be exploring how to make the side panels this summer.