Interesting article "marry & bury"

Dan D. Paulsen - Deceased - 1968-2014

October 18, 1968 - December 12, 2014
This article was in my morning paper:
Iowa funeral home marries and buries
SOLON (AP) — You can get married and buried at a funeral home in Solon.

The Brosh Chapel and Community Center offers the “till death do us to part” on its list of services.

“They said, ‘You’re going to marry them and bury them.’ You know, I guess we are doing some of that,” said Christine Brosh, co-owner and manager.

The funeral home is next to a cemetery. On the upper level is a chapel that seats 200 guests, an adjacent room with a patio overlooking a pond, a private kitchen and a children’s playroom

The lower level has a banquet room for 200 guests, plus a full-service kitchen.

The center, according to its Web site, has a liquor license and full service bar.

Brosh says hosting other events makes sense.

“Like any church you would go to ... do they have funerals? Yes. Do they have weddings? Yes,” Brosh said.

It’s one of the most popular places to host an event in Solon, a town of about 1,200 between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids.

Residents say the separation between the two parts of the building has helped people warm up to the idea.

“I really don’t feel like I’m in a funeral home,” said John McFarland.

Funerals are the priority, Brosh said. Many events aren’t scheduled during the week, and they never scheduled a funeral and a wedding at the same time.

Plenty of business is already lined up for next year. Half of the wedding and event weekends are already booked.

Business has been so successful, the Brosh Chapel is building a similar center in Cedar Rapids.

“Once they see it and understand it, they more readily accept it,” owner Matt Linn said.

The Cedar Rapids location should open by early next year.

Interesting concept.

They claim that they do not schedule funerals and weddings at the same time. They also say that they have "Plenty of business already lined up for next year. Half of the wedding and event weekends are already booked". So, if they have a lot of their weekends booked up next year already, I wonder what happens when they have a funeral come up. I wonder if they only do funerals through the week and weddings on the weekends.

Priority

It says that funerals are the priority...but it does seem like there is plenty of room for a conflict to arise. Otherwise, a unique revenue stream during a rough economy. I agree that it is an interesting concept. Now maybe John Royark will get married. For him, this is the best of both worlds. After all, these people would think nothing of seeing a hearse at a wedding. John???

not all that far away from them either. the 49 would make a nice wedding car. I might even have to go to that one. :thumbsup: but I would be willing to let them decide

Some might say that this is the perfect marriage of two business models... Once dead, you are dead forever, and once married, your dead broke when you try to get out.......... :D

Now maybe John Royark will get married. For him, this is the best of both worlds. After all, these people would think nothing of seeing a hearse at a wedding. John???

A good concept, but it is not a good enough of one for me to get married, not now, or ever!! I will be sure to check out the place though in C.R. when it is completed.:thumbsup:

Back