Info on this funky cool light please

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
A friend of mine worked the deal and got me this cool old 6-volt light. I have never seen one like it can anyone give me any info on it Vintage ect? The model is Trippe HB-1 6 volt light. Thank you Rocky

Attachments

• trippe hb-1 6-volt light 001.jpg
    trippe hb-1 6-volt light 001.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 317
  • trippe hb-1 6-volt light 002.jpg
    trippe hb-1 6-volt light 002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 320
I don't have a lot of knowledge on this but I do know they were used a lot of fire trucks. Tripp made a lot of different styles the ball is one.

Attachments

• tripp revolving light.jpg
    tripp revolving light.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 303
  • tripp light.jpg
    tripp light.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 300
  • trip inside remote spot light.jpg
    trip inside remote spot light.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 299
Hi-ball

The Trippe HB-11 was commonly call the Hi-ball light for obvious reasons. From what I have have been used on ambulances. In actuallity, it was not much of a light, having only a single rotating reflector with a small incandescent bulb. It was used primarily on fire apparatus although it obviously could as well have been used on ambulances. If you are going to buff the dome on this light, be extremely careful as it is quite soft and will burn easily. All in all, an interesting light, and one which is certainly worth adding to a collection. I have all of the lights pictured on this page in my personal collection.
John Dorgan

Those are some cool lights too. thanks for the info. the bulb inside the light broke in shipping, so i have to get a new one, but as you said it looks like it wont be real bright, but i think cool though.

Revolving Light

The fist photo that you posted of a revolving light, I can remember as a kid that a service station in the area had one on their tow truck which was a 1950 Chevy. Back then in Michigan tow trucks had red lights. If I recall I only saw it activted once.

Anthony J. Rzucidlo

Rocky and John, I can assure you the Trippe ball light was used on at least one ambulance! Here's a photo of my Ambulet, as it was re-equipped in the late '50's with a pair of them because the owner, Bingo Blair (in the photo) didn't "think it attracted enough attention". It also earned a Q2B siren on the fender - in addition to the WL siren on the roof. It had plenty of light and sound but not much generator power - and it was all 6v to boot.

Attachments

• 54AmbuletBingoLights.jpg
    54AmbuletBingoLights.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 224
Steve that is a great picture!! I was thinking the other day about the post of it not being that bright of a light, and i thought about how not bright the headlights are on my 6-volt lights on my 48 chevy and thought it fits well. Your car had to go dim if you hit the siren and one light! could you really run all of those with the generator?

I learned about this, too, when I was up in Nashwauk last summer. I had seen the filled-holes in the roof and on the fender, but didn't know what it was until I got the photo and talked to some of the former drivers.

They said it really didn't have enough power for all of that, and the car had electrical problems after it was put on. They said if they didn't use the Q-siren, it did OK, so they rarely used it.

Bingo really was all about the bling - he added a lot of extra chrome to it as well.

I learned about this, too, when I was up in Nashwauk last summer. I had seen the filled-holes in the roof and on the fender, but didn't know what it was until I got the photo and talked to some of the former drivers.

They said it really didn't have enough power for all of that, and the car had electrical problems after it was put on. They said if they didn't use the Q-siren, it did OK, so they rarely used it.

Bingo really was all about the bling - he added a lot of extra chrome to it as well.

Well with a name like Bingo...... :yum:

Spotlight

Strange this style of light has popped up for discussion, I have the third one shown, a spot light - Trippe (I believe 40's vintage) complete with mounting plate, wire & booklet for installation that will be coming up for sale very soon. They are unique.

Larri

Rocky and John, I can assure you the Trippe ball light was used on at least one ambulance! Here's a photo of my Ambulet, as it was re-equipped in the late '50's with a pair of them because the owner, Bingo Blair (in the photo) didn't "think it attracted enough attention". It also earned a Q2B siren on the fender - in addition to the WL siren on the roof. It had plenty of light and sound but not much generator power - and it was all 6v to boot.

:071:GR8 Pic !!!!!:071:

Back