I Saw Stars!

LeeAnn Cunningham

PCS Member
People always ask what famous people have I seen in Nashville. And really I don't think that much about it. But I ran to the bank today at lunch and saw this beautiful black Lincoln Continental. While drooling over the car, I noticed the passenger looked familiar. I thought it looked like Nicole Kidman, then I saw the driver and it was Keith Urban. I got back to work and announced I had just seen them, went straight to the Internet to find the car. It was a black 1956-57 Lincoln Continental 2 door Mark II - convertible. One person said, "You just saw Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman and all you can talk about is the car".. :D It (the car) was gorgeous and looked brand new. It had a Music City Motor Sports plate on the front. The CMA awards are this week, so I don't know if they loaned it to him to ride around town in, or if it actually belongs to him. Anyway, if they didn't want to be 'seen', they were in the wrong vehicle! This picture doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea!

Attachments

• lincoln.jpg
    lincoln.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 110
the Continental

LeeAnn,
That Continental was the most expensive car Ford built at he time. Too bad they decided to kill it off to save some bucks for the company when they did.
Whatever 'it' is that car still has 'it'! Who did you say was in the car? Oh, right some singer and a movie star.
Mike

LeeAnn,
That Continental was the most expensive car Ford built at he time. Too bad they decided to kill it off to save some bucks for the company when they did.
Whatever 'it' is that car still has 'it'! Who did you say was in the car? Oh, right some singer and a movie star.
Mike
I could care les who was in it, that is a beautiful car!:D

Josh

...Anyway, if they didn't want to be 'seen', they were in the wrong vehicle! ...
If they didn't want to be 'seen', they wouldn't be movie stars and singing stars. They are, and they do.
...One person said, "You just saw Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman and all you can talk about is the car"...
One of my favorite John Keel stories: We were at the PCS International Meet in 2000 in Kingsport, ON. Most of the members were on a tour, only a few of us in the hotel parking lot. I was washing my car when a '40 Buick Convertible pulls up. Turns out, it was Dan Ayckroyd. (Honestly, I wouldn't even have noticed if he were driving a Honda.) We talked to him and most of us got pictures. When John's mom got back from the tour and heard what happened, she asked John if he got any pictures of Dan Ayckroyd. John said, "Why would I waste film on him when there are all these great cars around?!?!?" The cars are often more interesting than the "stars" - though I won't miss the opportunity for a picture just the same.

Attachments

• Me&DanAykroyd.jpg
    Me&DanAykroyd.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 106
Figure of speech, Steve. I've known several people to encounter Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman around town and said they were very nice, talked with them, etc. Keith Urban came over to a friend's table in a restaurant and introduced himself because one of the teenage girls kept looking at him giggling. I know that made her day. I had dinner with him one night - well almost - he was in a booth right beside me at a restaurant here in Hendersonville. It was kinda nice, everyone was giving him his space. I think they deserve that when they are out in public, even though they shouldn't shun the attention either.

Yeah, right Josh. I was more excited about the car, it was gorgeous. I wish I'd had my camera. I first saw them driving down the street, the top was up. When I came back through, it was parked and the top was down. I guess she was afraid she'd mess up her hair. No, wait, he may have been afraid he'd mess up HIS hair!!!

I love the Dan Aykroyd story! :)

A correction...and one of my pet peeves

Most of us hearse folks cringe when we hear "Hearst", s it stands to reason that Lincolnphiles cringe when they hear a 56-57 Continental Mark II refered to as a Lincoln. They were NOT a Lincoln in those years only; Continental was a separate division of Ford Motor Co. In 56-57, there were roughly 3300 Mark IIs made; only ONE of which was a factory authorized convertible, converted by Derham for Mrs William Clay Ford. Any other Mark II cnvertibles you see are modified from a standard 2 door coupe. And a bit of trivia, the only option available on the Mark II was air conditioning; everything else was standard

Most of us hearse folks cringe when we hear "Hearst", s it stands to reason that Lincolnphiles cringe when they hear a 56-57 Continental Mark II refered to as a Lincoln. They were NOT a Lincoln in those years only; Continental was a separate division of Ford Motor Co. In 56-57, there were roughly 3300 Mark IIs made; only ONE of which was a factory authorized convertible, converted by Derham for Mrs William Clay Ford. Any other Mark II cnvertibles you see are modified from a standard 2 door coupe. And a bit of trivia, the only option available on the Mark II was air conditioning; everything else was standard

Ooops sorry! Thanks for the history lesson. Everything I pulled up on the internet said Lincoln. Anyway, whatever it is, I'd trade in all my cars, my cat, Jeremy, lol for one!!!

Hmmm... I think that I would have noticed the car first also and the person driving it second. Movie Star? Sure, I would have been interested in saying hello after I was done checking out the car!

Great story and thanks for the picture LeeAnn!

There is guy up here in michigan that has a 1956 lincoln mk 2 convertible that he says was made by hess eisenhardt . if you google 1956 lincoln mk 2 convertible it pops up. the car is a trophy winner at the concours shows

The car i'm referring to appeared in the oct.2007 issue of hemmings classic
car . article by daniel strohl. its also mentioned on the michigan lincoln owner's club site.

1956 Continental Mark II

The car Andrew is talking about is owned by Barry Wolk of Farmington Hills, Michigan.

Lots of pictures and information on the 1956 Continental Mark II at his CarDomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2194602

The owner of this vehicle states that this is 1 of 3 built for Ford Motor Company.

21946020046_large.jpg

21946020077_large.jpg

yes it is it's just not a Lincoln. as I said H&E did a lot of conversions for both ford and GM. making convertable out of hard tops was one they did a lot of.

Back