I nominate myself for a Darwin Award

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
Good friends: I'm posting this 75% for the humor and 25% towards my Darwin Award. The photo is of a toggle switch in the panel that hinges to the ceiling (1969 MM 48" classic). PROBLEM STATEMENT: The courtesy lights are on all the time. Investigation: Replaced a broken plunger; I realize these lights come on when grounded- so there is a ground all the time.--but this didn't solve the problem. Further action: I cut the hot wire to the ceiling light and the + and - of the light under the dash. NEXT: Ran a hot wire to the toggle switch as shown (red tape). Power? yes. Ran two wires to this toggle switch to get power when activated. The yellow wire goes to the ceiling courtesy light and the blue wire runs down the passenger A pillar to somewhat of a harness I made up of + and - and two bulb receptacles to serve as courtesy lights.
When I flip the toggle switch (as shown), the courtesy light works AND the HORN BLOWS. If I remove the bulbs and flip the switch, the horn DOES NOT blow. How the horn is getting power from brand new wires I installed myself (said yellow and blue), I don't know. For my mental health, I'm standing back hoping this problem is obvious to someone. My son-in-law (who is helping me figure out these messes) in unavailable for at least another week.
Obviously I felt the humor in this situation outweighs the value of my Darwin Award. This even made my wife laugh out loud. As usual, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 0F55AFAB-0378-42D5-B987-4842ED8313C4.jpeg
    0F55AFAB-0378-42D5-B987-4842ED8313C4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Ground you cut the ground wire to the horn button. Not as for the operation of the dome light. It is hot all the time. The ground wire goes too the jam switch which is a normally closed switch. When you shut the door you open the switch and the light loses ground. That switch your playing with was to turn on and off the overhead light in that panel. Not dome lights. You want dome lights with the doors closed you rotate the headlight knob all the way clockwise

Take the cutting pliers and put them away. All you are doing is causing additional damage, not repairing or resolving the problems. When you have problems such as you describe, ask for help, before butchering the wiring. Have you checked for a incorrect bulb that someone might have installed by mistake. Happens all the time, and it will mess with the proper function of the lighting circuit. Check the switches for a wire that has come off and is grounding to the body inside the door jam framework. Another common issue.

Our company mechanic once made me put my left hand on a Bible, raise my right hand and swear I would never do any wiring again, regardless of the amount of money it brought him.

Hope that helps......

Guilty. I think the first error was running a wire to the horn relay (per my assistant). The relay has a harness attached to it- and an extra post. He figured that post needed electricity I guess. He's tied up for a while so I'm on my own. Yes, I have decided to tuck the wires back behind the panel, and reattach the panel to the roof. I shall wash the blue off my white-walls and go for a ride.

Best thing to do. I see on this 70 her some one hooked the over head light in the panel so that it would come on with the courner lights. Driving that at night must have been fun.

Back