Help with a little research

I've been EMS ever since I joined the Kent State University Volunteer Ambulance Service in 1972. I am a charter member of KSUVAS and our first unit was this surburban conversion

Sorry for the photo quality as this is the only picture I have of this unit. It was operated by the police department until we got the service up and running, the historical lineage of this unit is that it was the first unit to responding to the May 4th shootings.
I would like to know what type of vehicle is this and the manufacturer. I think it is a 1968 or 67.
thanks
greg

the rig was only 4 years old when you got to work out of it. did you find any shots of the inside and what do you remember caring for equipment in it?

John, I know the interior color was all red, two tone bench seat up front, linoleum block patterned floor. federal pa 15 siren, signal stat beacon, ferno flex 28 cot, single e tank E&J resuscitator aspirator, o2 kit, doctor's bag with first aid bandages, ammonia inhalants, jaw spreader, had J&J S tube airway set. no stethoscope or b/p cuff.
I can't recall any suction on board , backboards, collars or splints
Way before EVC (Ohio EMT training)
Was automatic, V8, missing right side mirror, Motrac radio, can't remember where er light switch was at, kept pair of bolt cutters up front for chained off portions of campus
wish I kept a check list
sorry that's all the mind has
greg

somebody must have gotten tired of it bouncing in there eye when they tried to drive. the round ones out on that arm were a joke. first thing I took off from mine. they we put a set of low boy tripods ones.

thanks for the info on what you carried. bp cuff and stethoscope what that for you think you're a dr has he got a pulse if he breathing? load him up and lets go.

KSU ambulance mystery solved

Greg-I'm the author of a book called "Humble Heroes", which includes a brief first hand account of EMS response to the Kent State shootings. The man I interviewed for that segment worked for Kent Ambulance Service in 1970. During the book research I searched the KSU archives for ambulance photos from the shooting. Once I found some, I showed them to him, and he said he couldn't find a Kent Ambulance Service car in any of the photos. We were able to identify an ambulance from Stow Ambulance Service, but the car that appears most frequently in the archives we simply couldn't identify. I just checked my copy of "Humble Heroes", and the "mystery ambulance" appears on page 36 and is the same car you posted, right down to the license plate number. Mystery solved!

Scott, This ambulance was operated by the police department during the shootings, I was North of the shootings and watched this unit climb the hill from the command post at the burned out ROTC building drive till it disappeared behind Taylor hall right where the guards turned and fired from. In the initial operation of the KSUVAS we were under the auspicious of the Police department and the Health center. As I recall there was Kent ambulance, Stow ambulance and a Ravenna funeral home ambulances that responded. I can't recall if Kent and Stow were separate operations because later it became Stow-Kent ambulance. Hope this helps. There is local editor of a community paper here that took the photos in Life magazine. I don't know what he has unpublished.
greg

A little update: I have a friend who made the decals for me and I took my old MPC 78 chevy pick up truck conversion I did years ago to make it resemble KSU's ambulance.
004.JPG
005.JPGP1020661 (2).JPG
P1030970.JPGP1030968.JPG
decals that were made:
KSUpd.jpg
I know that it's not quit suburbanish with the large B pillar. It's close enough for me

Back