Happy Veteran's Day!

Jeremy D. Ledford

PCS Volunteer Chapter President
Just wanted to take a moment to wish everybody here that has served or is serving our country here (all Armed Forces, Police, EMT, Paramedic and Fire as well) a Happy Veterans Day and say THANKS! If it wasn't for you guys collecting these cars and being here is some of the MANY things we wouldn't be able to do. Thanks again guys!:)

Jeremy,
As a 20+ year VETERAN of military service and having served three one year tours in southeast asia, I resent having all first responders lumped together with military veterans. Today is our day! The first responders are dedicated people who are to be thanked for performing a dangerous job, BUT THEY ARE NOT VETERANS unless they perfomed service in our military.
I'm sure that many other veteran users of this forum fell the same.
John Dorgan BS, DFC (3), AM (11) AFCM (2) etc. etc.

We are doing a Veteran's Memorial Service at the cemetery today at 1 p.m. but first having a cook-out for all those who attend. :thumbsup:

As we speak, I am fondly polishing my Grandfather's medals from WW1 and my Father's medals from WW2. They both came home from these wars, obviously, but so many of their comrades-in-arms did not, and I am grateful for their ultimate sacrifice. I am grateful to every man and woman in our Armed Services who had the courage to say "Yes, I will go into harm's way for my country, and the friends of my country. I will risk...and perhaps give....my life to defend what is right".

John Dorgan, I agree with you. This is a day for all Veterans. We can take other opportunities to recognize EMS and other equally gallant groups...and we should. They too deserve it. But we must not dilute the heroism of those men and women who came home in flag-draped caskets, or disabled. We must not take attention away from the mothers and fathers who had to perform the most tragic of acts....burying their children.

We as a society have a tendency to lump things together. My own personal "issue" is the recognition of the firefighters who died in 9/11. Are they heroes? Sure they are, and they deserve our respect and appreciation. But how come no-one ever mentions the 37 Paramedics, EMTs and First Responders who also died on that fateful day, trying to save others? It's all about the firefighters...and that isn't right.

Jeremy makes a valid point. We, as a grateful society, must find opportunities to recognize and acknowledge the many groups that go above and beyond to contribute to our quality of life. It is right that we should acknowledge anyone who puts their life on the line for others.

But today, November 11th, is Veteran's Day in the U.S. and Remembrance Day in Canada. Today we acknowledge those who have served in our Armed Forces, those who are serving now, and those who gave their lives in the name of Freedom.

"....And on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, we SHALL remember them."

Jeremy,
As a 20+ year VETERAN of military service and having served three one year tours in southeast asia, I resent having all first responders lumped together with military veterans. Today is our day! The first responders are dedicated people who are to be thanked for performing a dangerous job, BUT THEY ARE NOT VETERANS unless they perfomed service in our military.
I'm sure that many other veteran users of this forum fell the same.
John Dorgan BS, DFC (3), AM (11) AFCM (2) etc. etc.

If I offeneded you I'm sorry.:mad: Sheezz.

Jeremy,
As a veteran medic of Vietnam (45th Surg - Tay Ninh) I did not take offence as I understood where you were coming from. That big ol' heart of yours was in the right place and I thank you for that. Sometimes we vets, esp 'Nam & Korean vets, get a bit touchy on this considering the atmosphere we came home to. I will not go into it as I am sure you have heard the stories. It is just that as Vets many of us have seen & done things on foreign soil that kind of set us apart from the others you mentioned, and NO disrespect to them at all. Sometimes, on days like this - Veterans Day, memories come back and we get somewhat territorial. You went out of your way and took your time to thank us. That means alot. Thank you brother.
Regards & Respect,
Joe Melanson

To all my fellow veteran brothers & sisters: Bow your head a moment and remember those who did not return with us & then may you be conforted by the love and support of your loved ones and friends.

HAPPY VETERANS' DAY

To all Veterans and those currently serving in our Armed Forces, I wish you all a pleasant day, good health, and happiness for the rest of your days. If it were not for the all the Veterans of past and present wars, we wouldn't have the liberties that we enjoy today. This is what makes this great country of ours different than many other countries around the world that don't allow there citizens to enjoy the freedoms that so many American's take for granted. For those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, I wish them lasting peace in their final resting place in heaven. May G-d bless all of you.

11th hr of the 11 day of the 11 month. the signing of the armistice. I like the song, some gave all all gave some. but today is the day to remember that all gave some. we get the events we are remembering all mixed up with the white sale at sears. memorial day is the day we remember those that gave all. this was why all the veterans groups fought hard to bring veterans day back to the 11th. it's not a 3 day weekend. but a time to remember that some gave some so the rest could enjoy. because even if all you did was go to work shuffle papers and go home, then part of you got left in places it can't come back from. so thanks for remembering it helps even if we Kind of grumble about it.

as for the fire fighter thing . I took me about a year in EMS to understand the loss of property is above loss of life. just one more bit of irony in life. fireman are heroes ( the news media tells us so) EMS people are just working stiffs. just the way it is.

John may have been a bit harsh. As a paramedic but not a service veteran, I do agree this is a day to honor the Veterans of military service. Thanks to all the Vets, and current military personnel as well, for your service.

Back