Gorgeous 1970 GMC Suburban Ambulance, Must See!

Nice looking old Suburban, although what a shame that all traces of once having been an ambulance have been erased from it.

I used to zip around Massachusetts in a 1985 Suburban picking up the dead for the Medical Examiner's Office. I could write a book about those days.

Nice would seem from the current price others think so too. Too bad they pulled everything ambulance. Still not a bad deal if you compare to the price for todays Suburbans. Not hard to convert it back. Lots of us have the parts. AND if you look at the cost of bringing an average one to this condition its cheap. The Packard I just brought home 29 years after I sold it has traveled just 3500 miles since I sold it. I have a folder of bills showing over $70000.00 has been spent on it. NO INTERIOR work done did not need it just new floor mats. AND the car is in pieces and will need a complete repaint and the $5000.00 rebuilt motor put back in. MY POINT HERE IS IF YOU CAN BUY NICE its way cheaper unless you are ED and do it yourself. Then if you pay yourself by the hour WELL!

I don't see any evidence it ever was a ambulance. Looks like a cheap utility rig to me. No holes not used and all.

Kinda echos my thinking except what did they use it for for it to stay so nice? Some of the company based Ambulances had very little in the way of gear as they were more stage props to keep Government, Insurance Companys,Unions happy and were only used as a last resort. I see no signs of equipment either.

Picture 3 on the auction shows the car show display board the previous owner used with it. The pictures on it show a beacon and small siren on the roof, and an interior with small jumpseat and side cabinet with cot bar. It appears someone pulled that stuff off prior to this sale.

Was in Victoria BC at one time

I viewed this vehicle quite a few years ago when the previous owner had it in Victoria BC. It was spartan. Shop built plywood cabinet and jump seat box as Nick stated. The siren was pretty much underrated and the light was a Dominion Auto model that some in Canada used in place of the Federal Model 17.

So although very bare, it didn't have much to begin with.

It was an industrial ambulance so really stayed on-site more than anything. The odd non-emergency run to the closest hospital that is in Kelowna BC. If the patient was serious, the local ambulance service for the area would have transported.

If I remember correctly, the owner was asking 16,000 USD back then.

Some older photos

Found the pictures of this rig finally.

It was at an area GM dealership in their showroom for a brief period of time before it made it's way from Vancouver Island to the US.

The door graphics have been added at some later date.

Sorry for the window glare but they wouldn't unlock it for me.

Attachments

• P1100683.JPG
    P1100683.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 106
  • P1100686.JPG
    P1100686.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 106
  • P1100693.JPG
    P1100693.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 107
  • P1100696.jpg
    P1100696.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 105
  • P1100698.jpg
    P1100698.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 107
Here's a few photos from the Russo & Steele auction in Scottsdale a few years back. I recall this truck making its rounds at various auctions. Always overpriced. Note the graphics had been added in the side and rear windows.

Attachments

• GM Suburban LT-14-1.jpg
    GM Suburban LT-14-1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 101
  • GM Suburban LT-14-2.jpg
    GM Suburban LT-14-2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 100
  • GM Suburban LT-14-4.jpg
    GM Suburban LT-14-4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 99
The glass treatment must have been stick on. As it comes and goes. Shame the money lost dragging it from one auction to another and making changes was a wast. If the wanted the big bucks pull the floor get the siren and lights off put the rear interier back in and sell it as a low mileage suburban.

Back