getting there

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
the long drawn out 73 project is getting closer to completion. we got the gold on it today. if the weather holds as promised then I'll get the roof painted tomorrow. the first shot is the e-bay pictures it looks a lot better in it then when I got it. but them by the time I got it here most of the roof covering had blown off.

Attachments

• 1973 S&S e-bay picture 1.jpg
    1973 S&S e-bay picture 1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2002s.jpg
    IMG_2002s.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2006s.jpg
    IMG_2006s.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 201
we are just heading out to put the black wrinkle paint on the top. the car has the 3 tone black gay and silver S&S colors inside so it should tie things together well. be glad when all I need to think about is how soon I can put it back together. there talking a week for the top to harden 24 hr for the wrinkle to appear. Dan got it to work on his so I have to try it on this one. a lot cheaper them putting a vinyl roof back on the car. but that option still remains if we have not been successful in the anti rust campaign. it has been a challenge bring this one back to life. and a lot of stuff learned. one I would have been money ahead if I had bought the pressure blaster and just taken the car down to clean to start with. the pits were so deep in this one that they held some rust in the bottom. it had a 6 inch band all the way around about a foot in that failed. not in the wet weather or cold and snow but just as soon as it got hot the the top expanded the flaks popped off. causing the top to check. the bed liner in the center and edges was down so tight you could not knock it loose with 24 grit. were the chemical had converted the rust it did not remove the flakes from down in the pits. nor would all the wire brushing and grind I did get it either. I thought I was safe. had I put a new vinyl top on one would have never known there were more problems under there. the rust was converted it was just popped loose under the bed. liner. so if you use the converters follow directions remove all lose rust don't put on in direct sunlight and wait 24 hr before re coating. if you check the pictures in the drop shots you'll see I missed everyone of these and ended up redoing it. I would have been better off to have got a 3 buck tarp taped it down and waited until I had time to do it right rather then have to redo it. the problem is I knew that and would have passed this on to anyone. the song is right people are crazy;)

we are painted now.it's just waiting for the cure to cause the wrinkles in the black.this time of the year things up here take time to cure. the gold is final laying down and loosing that fresh done look. I had one spot that the sun hit with the doors open this afternoon and it wrinkled right up. the rest of the top is slowly forming the texture. got me nervous as a cat in a room full of rockers. but it will or it won't. never done this before so I don't know what to expect. you can see the corner that cured in the rear.the pattern is were it was side ways in the shop. the only place the sun hit was there.

Attachments

• IMG_2016s.jpg
    IMG_2016s.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 86
You're going to make that car really pop now, Ed. Excellent choice of colors and a nice shade of gold.

You probably could have stopped when you had it red primer over gold, then took it up to Kinkade Funeral Home in Sturgis. No kidding, their fleet colors are maroon over gold!

If you have any of that gold paint left over, save it. I just asked Kim if we could make the Lifeliner gold (you know she hates the original yellow) and I was told, yes, she could be talked into gold. ;)

gold and white would be a nice combination. the wrinkle is doing it's thing as we speak. got it out in the sun curing out. that paint is different stuff to work will. if one had a booth with baking lights in it you could really get a affect.

You probably could have stopped when you had it red primer over gold, then took it up to Kinkade Funeral Home in Sturgis. No kidding, their fleet colors are maroon over gold!

Tony, I had a chance to buy one of their cars about 4 years ago. Everyone thought the color was ugly, but I loved it and still kick myself for not getting it, it was so well taken care of it still looked brand new!

1977.jpg

Thanks for sharing this photo, John

I remember when Kinkade's traded in that '77. The funny part of that deal was they replaced it with a 1998 Superior Cadillac Statesman that came from Kinder-Dennis Funeral Home in Waseca, MN. The '98 was all-white with a mulberry leather interior and was in perfect shape. Keeping true to their house colors, Kinkade's transformed this car into burgundy over gold!

Hey Ed...are you up for a ride over to Sturgis to photograph the Kinkade fleet?

I get up that way I'll do that for you. I have not payed any attention since the F.O.Jolly funeral home was sold. they were right on the main drag comming into town. some how you could not go by it with out smiling.

I remember when Kinkade's traded in that '77. The funny part of that deal was they replaced it with a 1998 Superior Cadillac Statesman that came from Kinder-Dennis Funeral Home in Waseca, MN. The '98 was all-white with a mulberry leather interior and was in perfect shape. Keeping true to their house colors, Kinkade's transformed this car into burgundy over gold!

Yup, And I am waiting for that trade in, and maybe I will not pass it up next time.

Back