Fuel filler hose mid 90s coaches

Has anyone here replaced the fuel hose that goes from the filler neck to the tank on an early to mid 90s coach? I have owned over a half dozen built on GM chassis built by different coach builders and every one of them regardless of make has had a bulging dry rotted hose that looks terrible. Never had one leak but it's always been on my mind. They don't match up with what they were built on. Any idea what they used? Coach builder only?

When mine started to leak, I took it off and brought it to a muffler ship that measured the inside diameter and bent a piece of the steel exhaust pipe to the curvature of the rubber hose. I then bought a section of gas tank filler hose, and cut it into 2 pieces. Put one piece at either end of the new curved steel pipe, and used hose clamps to hold it to the tank and the top steel filler pipe. Hasn't given me any problems in more than 10 years. What the coach builders used is a mystery, but they have sources that the average person doesn't. There probably is a master catalog of fuel filler hoses, but only available to manufacturers.

I forgot to mention that if they don't have a piece of pipe of the proper dimension, they can expand the ends of it to fit the fuel hose that fits the tank nipple and the fuel filler neck. Get the fuel filler hose first, and plan on using a 5" or 6" length at each end. That way you will have plenty of adjustment on the pipe, tank, and filler neck to get your worm gear clamps tight. It is also a lot easier if the tank is just about empty, and you have the rear of the vehicle up in the air on ramps. Ideally, a lift makes the job a lot easier.

Back