Electrical Leak?

The battery in my '73 S&S Victoria loses charge fairly quickly, especially in cold weather, so I'm thinking there's something somewhere in the electrical system that's draining the battery. I read somewhere (I think) that there are switching devices that disconnect the battery from the rest of the electricals but I don't remember what they're called.

As an alternative, would it be OK just to disconnect the battery cables pending getting somebody in there who knows what they're doing?

How old is your battery? Age makes a big difference. There are no electronics in your car that will cause a parasitic drain on the battery other than the clock, which in most cars of that age of your car, isn't working any longer. I have a few "Genius 1000" battery maintainers/chargers that I keep the batteries on over the winter. The model numbers have changed, and they have made improvements since I bought mine, but in my opinion, there is no other battery maintainer that will work as well as this particular brand. The battery on my home generator is on one for the past 4 years, and the generator starts automatically every time the power goes out. There is nothing worse than coming home to a dark house when the power is out, the wind is howling at 40 MPH, and the snow is building up around the garage doors, and when you get inside, the home is cold because the power went out right after you left for work. That is why my generator must start every time it is called on. https://no.co/products/charging/genius

Had a look at the offending battery. Looks like it was made in January of 2018, so it seems more like it's a senescent battery than an electrical drain. Thought I'd replaced it within the past 2 years, but if time is flying that fast I must be having fun!:thinkingface2:

A couple of days ago I put it on the charger. Topped up in about 20 minutes, so it looks like it'll last until spring. I don't drive that car very much, but I do try to take it out every week or so in clear weather and at least run it for a minute or two in the garage ( big door open, natch) about as often when the weatherman is being uncooperative.

I have heard pros and cons on starting but not driving, I try to drive mine once per week but sometimes that is impossible. I start them and let run for 15-20 minutes. One is 6 volt, the other two are 12 volt, do you think this is good for the engine and do you think it charges the battery?

I have heard pros and cons on starting but not driving, I try to drive mine once per week but sometimes that is impossible. I start them and let run for 15-20 minutes. One is 6 volt, the other two are 12 volt, do you think this is good for the engine and do you think it charges the battery?
There's a nice straight, uncrowded country road close to the house where I can run both ladies (pictured, so you know it happened) for about 12 miles total, some of it at highway speed, and I do that as often Miss Thing & Ladybug2.JPGas I can.

Back