Drainage Holes

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I am thinking of drilling a couple of drainage holes in the U channel by the back door. Hopefully, this will avoid a reoccurrence of the water retention and rust problem of the past.

Question about this.

How do I prevent water from coming into the drain holes while driving in the rain and worsening the problem?

1658151207271.png

GM did have some weep holes in the floors of certain cars, and they used a rubber cover that would allow the water to escape, and keep water from coming in. It really didn't work very well, and I don't believe that any cars use them today. They also used a tube to carry the water down from the sunroof and at its termination, they had a boot on it that would open from the pressure of the water, and allow it to drain. This also didn't work very well. The best thing is to seal the compartment sufficiently so that no water gets into the compartment.

Your looking at rust only because they did not prime the inside or paint it will. Whatever fell in there from painting the exposed panels was enough. Not had it been red or black you would barely notice it. clean up. kill the surface rust, prime, and paint. That's over-restored enough. If you could see evidence of standing water a drain might be indicated. But its just surface from condensation

Back