Change is coming to the forums.....

Paul Steinberg

Administrator
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
We have been using very old software on a much newer server and will it hasn't crashed yet, it can happen at any time without warning. The time has come to upgrade and we have made the decision to migrate to new software that will offer quite a few modern advantages. It works much better with mobile devices, and it lets you add more than one pic at a time and it's what we would call a cleaner design. It is much faster since it runs the current supported version of PHP; so all the errors that are causing the server issues now should go away. Downside, it's different. Nobody likes change, including me. The old software was installed in 2009, and we did all the available upgrades until there were non left. The last software upgrade was so long ago, that I have forgotten what year it was. In 2009, most people were using Windows XP or Vista. Like all software, the time has run out on our version of VBulletin software.
I do want to give you a head up, if you have a VB Album you might want to save those images to a safe place then you can reupload them after the migration to XF.

Thanks to all our Site Supporters and Super Site Supporters for helping us to update our forums, keep giving to the Society.

Paul Steinberg
Senior Website Administrator
President of the Professional Car Society

Paul Steinberg

Administrator
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Here is a first look at the new platform. It will be a couple of weeks possibly before the change over, and once it rolls over to the new software, the forums will be shut down for possibly a day, while I go over ever thing to make sure that the functionality is set properly. Just like 11 years ago, when we had a few BETA testers to help work out the kinks...

thanks
Paul Steinberg

Attachments

• first look a.jpg
    first look a.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 10

Paul Steinberg

Administrator
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Not sure about the app. I will have to look into it.. There is a lot to learn about this software, and even though it is similar to the old software, I have a lot to learn about it. Presently, I had to turn off a few forums, since I haven't figured out exactly how permissions are granted. I am working on that today. If you see something that doesn't look correct, please let me know. thanks Paul

Paul Steinberg

Administrator
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
In XenForo they are called, Conversations.

Click on any user name and you will see a box pop up, and at the bottom, you will see a link which reads, "Start conversation". Click on that "start conversation", and another box will open, where you may put in a title for the conversation, and below that, you type the text of the conversation. You can also add pictures to the conversation by clicking on the "attach files" box at the bottom of the message.

thanks for asking the question. I am certain that this will help other also...

Paul

Paul Steinberg

Administrator
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Is it just me, or is this new set-up much harder to use? I am lost.
It isn't more difficult, but it is different. Just like purchasing a new car, and all the controls are in a different place than on the old car, the same goes for the forums. Once you start using it more often, the easier it will get. If there is a particular feature that you can't find, or don't know how it works, just make a post to this thread, and I will help you. Presently, we are working on smoothing out some of the "bumps", and attempting to make these forums have the look, feel, and features as the old forums.

Paul Steinberg

Administrator
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
I noticed today that I wasn't able to post a picture to a particular forum (Nodes as they are called in the software), and it took me about 20 minutes to find all the settings that I needed to change. Permissions are not as easy as in the old forums, but a lot of that is because I am not familiar with everything as of yet. Should you notice a forum that you cannot post a picture, please advise me either by posting to this thread, or sending me a "conversation" (new name for the old "Private Message"). Same goes for anything else that you might find that needs my attention. Still clearing out all the cob webs from the old forums.

Paul Steinberg

Administrator
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Yesterday we completed another upgrade to the forums, and the "Donate" button is restored, but there is an error on the time period that I am still trying to find the correct location to correct this. The old albums have been restored, and now, all images will be full size when you attach them. There is now a 20 picture limit to individual posts, so you will be able to show more in a single post. One of the nicer features on this new software, if something happens to your power when you are writing a post, what you have written will be preserved, even though you hadn't submitted it. When you go back to that forum, it will remind you that you have an incomplete post to complete.