Broken lock mechanism on loading door? Pictures from inside the door

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
The lock button is very hard to pull up. Now that I've taken the interior skin off (and the cabinet), I've got a good view of something.
I think I need to remove the two large screws on the outside edge of the door and take everything out. The lock mechanism obviously attaches to something; and the mechanism itself is connected to the button- but how about that other rod just hanging there? And I'm guessing that moving part should be square to the fixture itself...First photo shows mechanism and button down, second, up. Thanks in advance as usual!!!19F938FB-13FA-4BAE-A2FC-A41CB5392C2C.jpeg83ECA1EC-2F6A-46F2-8298-2BA9CC4DAB78.jpeg

Check the bottom of the door for missing parts. The long broken rod is the inside handle there is a bent end the goes in the hole on it. The other rod missing is the out side lock rod goes from the lock to that bock that the inside lock is on. That whole piece moves up and down to did engaged the release. Remove the latch. Clean it up make sure the fall over piece s free to move. They get wedged if the striker is out of adjustment. The repair the broken end of the long rod . Replace the missing one on the latch re-lub the latch and put it back in place. Attach rods to outside lock and inside remote and your good to go..

ok here is a picture or two of what I was talking about. the first set is freeing up the latch. you cab see how a out of aliment has rubbed hard enough to peen the opening over putting a jam on the latch. a hack saw blade will cut out the the excess. the other is a repair of a broken remote latch. the key here is to get it the same length. if you can find the broken pices it's easy enough. the hard thing to do if you make one if finding a hard wire and cutting the grove in for the clip on the lock endIMG_5715.JPGIMG_5717.JPGIMG_6172.JPG

Thanks Ed. The car is in the shop getting the a/c working. The six months I spent as a detective sgt. has paid off...I knew when I saw that dangling rod something was amiss!!!! I really want this car to be as close to perfect as possible on behalf of the next owner.

Back