Brake Master Cylinder cover...

Can I purchase just the top cover on a brake mater cylinder? Mine appears to be leaking just a bit and would like to replace the entire lid or at least the rubber.

The only place that I have ever seen master cylinder covers available is on the rotating displays at places like NAPA, Carquest, Autozone, Advance, etc. They are fairly universal across the board on GM cars of the same vintage, however, the bore and stroke of the cylinder itself might be different. If the top cover is rusted through, then I would be very suspect of the cylinder itself. Check to see if the fluid is clear. If it is dark in color, or shows a milky look, the fluid should be changed in the system, and the master cylinder checked for contamination damage.

they are around. with out looking you could check rubber the right way for a new gasket. I see one now and them on e-bay but mostly listed with the muscle cars. don't have clue as to what will fit what. if it's leaking you might try to remove it and poke the tabs from the rubber out of the stamped lid clean up the rust off the steel and the rubber. prime the underside of the lid put it back together and as long as the bail is good it should seal. one rust bubble will cause a high spot and it will leak either side of it. but other then that there is no reason for it to leak it is just a slosh guard.

Turns out...

Just took the Lifeliner to my mechanic to find out why I lost brake fluid in the master cylinder. Right now it is looking more and more like a leaking brake line. I crawled underneath and noticed fluid dripping but unable to actually locate the leak. I'm sure Joe will figure it out. More to come! :mad:

Good news....

Turns out it is the master cylinder and not a leaking brake line-YEAH! The master was leaking and dripping down onto the line. I'll have it back tomorrow. :applause:

Well due to the holiday my Lifeliner was a little late. But, I picked it up today with it's new master cylinder and brakes are primo once again.

Back