Body mounts

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
If I am looking at replacing the dried out body mounts on my 76 Superior 54XL, what product would you recommend I use?

Are there any body mounts that are 1:1 replacement?

Being from this side of the border I could always use hockey pucks!

Rubber the right way wouldbe the same just alittle cheaper. The of course there is metro rubber products. Its just that matching them up on line is not the easy way.

Replacing the rubber once you get the bolt out is the easy part. Getting the bolt out is the difficult part. I suggest that you start by squirting the bolt where it goes into the body with Deep Creep. Use the plastic straw that comes with the can and spray the bolt threads frequently. When you think that you are ready to do the job hopefully the threads will have been soaked long enough to get the bolt out. I am planning on doing the same job this winter on my 1962 and I have purchased an induction heater kit to get the bolts red hot and then letting them cool. Then try to tighten the bolt with your socket and ratchet. I will try to tighten the bolt just to see if it will move. If it moves the slightest amount that is a good indication that you might be able to get it out. Lubrication is the one constant that is necessary at every step. Working the bolt in and out multiple times will help. Keep in mind that the rust will jam up in the threads of the bolt and that is the reason for tightening and loosening constantly as you unscrew the bolt. Don't become over confident just because it is getting easier. The rust can cause a bolt to break at any point. Once you get the bolt out, make sure to label it and where it came from. Try to put the same bolt back in every time, and I would use some anti seize on each bolt after you wire brush the threads to clean them. If a bolt breaks then you need to cut open the cage go get to it, which is a lot of work sometimes requiring that the bolt be accessed from above. Figure that it will take about 2 hours per bolt. I would start at the front with the core support since you can get to both sides of the bolt. Don't tighten them until they are all done and then you should use a torque wrench to get them all set with equal compression. Once you have that one done, next is the cowl and like the core support you can get to both sides of the bolt. Keep working your way towards the rear until you have it done. When you are finished you might have to reset the hood hinges to get everything in alignment once again.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C33CPZ3Q?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1 (this is the brand that most experienced people are using)

Back