American Motors hearse

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Did American Motors ever make a hearse, or has there ever been a hearse on an American Motors chassis?

George Romney built very good cars. Unfortunately he took over AMC too late and had too little left to work with.

Often wondered if he wasn't the model Iacocca worked from.

I remember seeing an AMC Ambassador limousine at the 2013 Milwaukee International meet but not an AMC Funeral coach. Prior to AMC being AMC, Im sure there were some Nashs built

Yes. In the Twenties and Thirties there were quite a few professional cars based on the Hudson and Nash platforms. In the Sixties AMC also offered Rambulance conversions of the full-size Rambler station wagons. So....there you go.

I recall well Nash Ramblers with the drive in er I mean front seats that laid back to become a double bed. The perfect car for the family to take trips and save motel money.

Also recall Missery Troopers in AMC Javelins with an extra 50-70 pounds of concrete and wheelweights over the front tires to keep them on the pavement at speed. AMC was no slouch till they sidestepped to the fishbowl on wheels to hopefully gain market as America transitioned to kiddiecars.

Oh well, I gotta get back to figuring out where I could stash a pair of 20s vintage Franklin touring cars, if I get crazy enough to buy them.

I had two of those fish bowls. Liked them. The plastic trim pads were the only real problem. But true to form the other builders followed there lead.

Back