'60 Flxible Flower Car

I saw this a few weeks ago and found it kind of odd. I ended up talking to Tom McPherson about it, and he added to what I already suspected. We think the car was probably once a full-bodied Flxette or a LeSabre wagon, which was heavily modified to be what it is now, but it's not a "real" flower car. What Tom was able to further explain is that Flxible didn't build any flower cars at this time, but they did offer a package to modify Chevrolet El Caminos into flower cars (he apparently talks about this in his Flxible book).

Personally, I would have rather seen it keep the original body... :my2cents:

Attachments

• 1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos3[1].jpg
    1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos3[1].jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos8.jpg
    1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos8.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos9.jpg
    1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos9.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos11.jpg
    1960_Flower_Car_extra_photos11.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 244
also the two door configuration. it does not like like a stretch at all. but a different example of a body shop made rig. made to look like a Buick El Camino if there is a flexible tag on it it's not posted with the car pictures. this is not to say it would not be a neat rig to own. but if they had used the roof and back glass out of the flat top 4 door HT it would look a lot neater

The plate at the top of the "tailgate" is the Flxible floor plate that would be on the floor inside the back door. The wood rear floor is also the base floor from the Flxette. It was probably a combination. :cuss:

Had Flxible built it as a flower car, it would look better (and not have a bowtie window or a truck-bedliner-painted roof!). :my2cents:

most definitely the rear sill plate put on top of the end gate. no outside handle and the inside has been altered to more of a truck style one. but one look with it open it's definitely a hearse /Ambulance style door. but as you look someone has done a vary nice job of converting this car. it most likely had the indoor out door carpet glued in the bed. the bow tie looks to have been added as some kind of cover up for the rear glass. with out a interior shot you can't see how they finished it off there. but the filling in of the rear doors the trimming of the roof top rail and the finish put there is good. remove the filler off the back glass find a molding and install some flooring in the bed. this would be one sharp flower car. there were a lot of home brew type conversions done in body shops and dealerships. a lot easier to convert a old combo then go out a buy a new flower car. such as joe's hears comverted to a ambulance. this does not make them a bad car it just is not a conversion done by flexable a good welding shop could line this bed with SS and you would have a similar styled flower car as the McClain's are. I would love to have it. trade him a S&S for it.

Seems like a well done home made unit/ bow tie obviously wasn't part of the original conversion/ but no one in their right mind that ran flower cars would put carpet in the rear

Back