1962 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Hearse - $11,500 (North of San Francisco

Month old ad. No response to email. Interesting coach. One of 11 built. Original black plate CA car.

I like that he has done nothing to the engine compartment. He's not a car guy. I would spend all day in there.

Last edited:
I have always been of the opinion that if the engine looks really crappy, then they didn't take care of maintenance items when they should have. Just looking at the general condition under the hood, I can tell you that I wouldn't drive that car 10 feet and fell that it was safe to do so. The car is in beautiful condition, and you couldn't bring the average car to that level for that price. I would say that you will spend at least $1000 to detail and service the items under the hood. The one thing that I do see that would worry me are the brakes. The car has the original master cylinder, so a complete examination of the braking system would be in order. If it had air conditioning, I would consider adding the car to my collection, and hope not to loose it in the impending divorce.

In total respect to my two more knowledgeable colleagues above:
1. I have a car where the engine bay has not been "redone" . I would have loved to, but it would (for me) have been a huge amount of work to pull an engine, make it all pristine, and put it back together. Mechanically it is 100% (the last time I drove it), but not real pretty.
2. This is a rare, and in my opinion, beautiful car. Someone please care for it moving forward, and if mechanicals are a part of that care, get it done.

If only a similar 62 straight ambulance was out there.

61 Universal Superior Pontiac 02, Calgary 2.JPG

Engine compartment detailing doesn't mean removing the engine, it means cleaning all grime using Simple Green and a inexpensive paint brush for scrubbing. Rinse with water, and do it again till it is clean. Once every thing is clean, the remove one item at a time, and paint it, but don't replace it quite yet. Take lots of pictures and identify where each fastener goes. I would start with the power steering pump, and while it is out, replace both the pressure and return hose. Power steering hoses that break spray out a fine stream of oil that hits the exhaust manifold, and causes an engine fire, and that is the reason to replace them, especially if they are original to the car. Next, I would remove the generator and repaint it also. Don't forget to disconnect the battery at both terminals, and remove the battery so you can clean and paint the battery box. It is important to remove all the white corrosion from the battery box, because it will eventually rot out the bottom of the battery box. Once everything that you want to remove is off the engine, then paint the engine using Bill Hirsch engine paint. You can brush it on, and it will flow out and look like it was sprayed on. It is a high temperature paint that will last for many years. Also consider replacing all hoses on the engine, and if you are really intent on doing it correctly, drain the radiator, and clean the engine block and radiator. If you want to go this route, I will give instructions in a separate post. Warning, you might wind up with a leaking heater core or radiator, but it is better to have either of these items fail when it is just slightly inconvenient than to have it happen on the road, where it will require it being towed to a service facility for repair at a much more expensive repair than if you do it now. You would be surprised as to how great it will look, and the value it will add when you sell the car at some later date. I could go on with other items that can be painted, and I have just scratched the surface of what you can do with some time and guidance. You don't need to be a mechanic, but by the time that you are finished, you will have a better knowledge of your car. The one thing that I will point out to every Pontiac owner, is that if your car has over 60,000 miles on the engine, it is time to change the timing chain. This is the weak point of every Pontiac engine that was manufactured in the 1960's and 1970's.

I have never pulled a engine to detail a under hood. A good cleaning as Paul said then touch up the parts that need it. Like that rusty master cylinder, the air cleaner, the valve covers. You do it first that will hep you wing things that need replaced. A clean engine bay will get you a lot more respect when you drop it off for repairs to.

Back